standards/vs bantie

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kelliepulido, Jul 28, 2008.

1. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    My banties hatched out may 10 and my 1st chick who ended up being a standard hatched out 1month earlier.The bantie roos are all crowing and the standard who is 1m older just started making a loud noise that kinda sounds like a crow but nothing else.I thought she was a girl all this time she is very sedate does not try to get out the chicken ramp will not walk up it and only goes out if I take her out.She is very content to just walk around some and never ever tries to fly or jump up on the perches occasionally will chase abit but nothing very far or will peck at the others but not much could it be a roo?I don't have a picture.But would she start to lay first if she is a hen?I put a box in there on the ground for her but she never goes in it.She looks like a ISa brown the most no big tail does have a bit of a comb and wattles but hard to compare since I have 31 banties and her ass a standard,the comb is not bright red either.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  2. sara

sara Title Needed Here

If it is a pullet, and it hatched in April, you have a while to wait for eggs. [​IMG]

3. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    Standards usually start laying around 6 months of age. It depends on the breed, the bigger the breed the longer the wait.

4. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    ok bigger as in banties might lay first and not the standard.What else could I use for a nest box for my standard that she might find inviting to use? I am afraid if she just lays an egg on the floor everybody will peck at it./They peck at everything.The banties are very good about getting up on the perches finding the nest boxes etc.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by