Standing up for yourself, and for what is right.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by PortageGirl, Nov 11, 2010.

1. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    Portage County, Ohio
    “As writers and photographers, we have to start taking these people to court. They think we won’t. And they won’t stop until they know we will.” ~Suzanne McMinn on the subject of copyright infringement and intellectual property rights.

Well, If any of you have been following the whole frufra over the editor of Cooks Source (Those people need to learn where the apostrophe is!!!) An editor appropriated an article nearly in its entirety and when the actual author contacted them, the editor told her that they ‘did her a favor’ by reprinting it with or without her permission.

Over the last few days, another publication has done the same by snagging a photograph off of a web site and reprinting it without permission, accreditation or recompense. I’m talking about it here because people here all enjoy taking lots of pictures and many have web sites and I thought there’d be some interest. Also, I’m personally acquainted with this particular photographer and she was fully prepared to go to the mat over the issue.

Here’s the link, I hope it’s ok to post it, I think it’s a worthwhile thing to read. http://chickensintheroad.com/living/open-letter-to-dave-belanger

I’m
    happy to report now that the issue has been somewhat resolved. The publisher agreed to meet Ms. McMinn’s demands for compensation for the theft of her copyright and intellectual property rights.

This came about after days of e-mails, phone calls, web posts, facebook alerts etc etc. I’d like to think it happened because Mr Belanger, the owner/ceo of a large publishing company that, Oh, by the way, runs Countryside Publications, who oh yeah, publishes Backyard Poultry, Dairy Goat Journal, and Sheep! Magazine. I’m hoping Mr Belanger did this because he realized he should step up like a man and admit there was a wrong done which needed to be cleared up… I’m afraid he just realized someone caught him with his hand in the cookie jar though. Still, one of the little guys won this one battle, I hope others are as effective in this sort of thing.

Thought I’d share it with you all.

2. boxermom

boxermom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Spencer,IA
    My friend has been following this. She'll be glad she can renew her subscription to countryside. [​IMG]

3. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    Portage County, Ohio
    I think that one of the things that I find very disturbing is that according to the publisher, this theft occurred while the editor, Jennifer Stultz, was browsing the internet looking for a cover photo. Does that sound right to you? A professional magazine editor, cruising the internet for photos to grab? Do they usually just hope they don't get caught when publishing someone else's pic they just grab off the internet?

I mean, I suppose this could be a case of someone who skipped a step? Got busy? If that's the case, the right thing to do is to admit a mistake was made, apologize, offer to correct things with proper credit. Didn't anyone check the work? Don't they have a process where they check to make sure permission is obtained before they print a story or photo that belongs to an independent photographer or writer? Are these people professionals who have had training or education about how to do their jobs?

Instead the publisher tried to blow her off, dismiss her, and at one point, just flat hung up on her. Yes, he eventually stepped up, but it was pretty grudgingly done... still it was done and that's good.

Have any of you seen any of YOUR photos, your hens, roosters, goats or ducks snagged and grabbed off your web sites and used without your permission?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  4. sekinkead

sekinkead Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2009
    Central Ohio
    I have also been following this story and was appalled at the way Suzanne was treated. I am still thinking about not renewing my subscription to Backyard Poultry. Especially after reading the part about Jennifer cruising the internet for a cover shot. I haven't posted a lot of pictures of my birds on here and I will not post them on the internet until I figure out a watermark to put on them. I am glad that they finally gave in and gave her the credit and are sending the check, but I don't have high hopes that they won't do it again.

5. LadyWoodsong

LadyWoodsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Midwest
    I've been a faithful reader of Suzanne's for over a year now and I just love her! [​IMG] I was shocked and appalled when I read about Countryside Publications and sent them an email in protest.

I am so happy that Suzanne will be recompensed although I sense that it was more because Dave Belanger discovered the ocean of support Suzanne had and realized that it would be probably cheaper to pay her now rather than later. I will be truly happy once Suzanne has the money in her hand, however.

Glad to see a few other followers of Suzanne's here. I always check her blog right after I check my FB page and my email......she's always next in line. [​IMG]

6. LadyWoodsong

LadyWoodsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2010
    Midwest
    Quote:I'm not quite sure yet I'm ready to, after this fiasco. I really did love Countryside magazine, but I'm sure there more good ones out there too. I'll have to see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by