Stange behavior on the first outdoor experience

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by aileronjack, Feb 7, 2009.

1. aileronjack

aileronjack Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2009
    Pollock, LA
    One of our chicks is exhibiting some strange behavior. We put them outside in the pen for the first time and one of them is scratching around and digging a hole in the dirt and "dust bathing" in it. I think it is okay but it seems to be dragging itself around in the dirt for a while. Then in gets up and walks around and lays back down and drags itself around in the dirt some more. This one seems to be doing it more than than the others. Do you think something could possibly be wrong with it or maybe that is normal "hen" behavior? Like I mentioned this is their first outdoor experience. Any ideas are appreciated.

2. waynesgarden

waynesgarden Feathers of Steel

Mar 30, 2008
    Oxford County
    Some hens get more into the dust bath things than others. It's normal. Perhaps that particular one is irritated by pests more than others, but more than likely, it just enjoys her bath time more.

Wayne

3. joanc

joanc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2007
    Shafer, MN
    That sounds pretty normal to me. My chickens can't wait to get to the dirt and scratch, roll around, again and again until another one comes over and tries to take over the dirt area.
    Once one starts doing that, they will pretty much all take turns. "Chicken see-chicken do". Monkeys have nothing on chickens!![​IMG]

4. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

its normal IF you check him out for any fleas or lice,, if none of those,, then their being chickens hehe [​IMG]

5. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    It's OK, we thought ours were dying when they first dust bathed too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by