1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Stange Disease? Help !!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kitty Cat, Jun 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kitty Cat

Kitty Cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Campos De La Gracia
    I had a chicken with really strange symptoms a few months ago. I treated her with antibiotics and a number of other home remedies but she never recovered. After about a week of hand feeding and syringing water every couple of hours she finally cezed up and died. Her symptoms were these : -Very lethargic -Not laying -Fluffed feathers -Standing in one spot for hours (And the most noticeable symptom) -A very strange mint green color feces streaked with white (towards the very end) -she would reach for food and miss, and she would keep her eyes closed 99% of the time. she also couldn't seem to walk on her own or really even move without falling over.

I had her separated from all the rest of my hens while i was nursing her. However, I didn't know what it was and I still don't know what it is. Every 6-8 weeks it comes back. I had to kill three chickens this last time. I burned their bodies, and Cloroxed the entire chicken coop from top to bottom. Everything seemed to be doing alright but this morning I noticed one of my hens still roosting when I went to feed, which is very unusual for her, then I noticed her feces and it was the same color.

There are no poultry vets around here and I've tried Sulmet and Wazine (I know it's just a wormer but I tried it anyway). I'm at a loss of what to do. I'm going to call a poultry vet later. I tried calling our state vet and he didn't seem to know what it was either.

Has anyone dealt with this before? And if so did you find out what it is and how to treat it?

Worse comes to worse I'll have to send one of my hens off for a necropsy. Which I hate to do but whatever this is spreads pretty quickly throughout the flock.

Any ideas on what this is would be very helpful.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  2. fluffychickens

fluffychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Missouri
    Sorry for your birds. I always give my chickens antibotic injections when they are acting weird.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Closed at request of the OP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by