Staples vs Screw and washer...what to do, what do to!!?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TheJuan-n-Only, Jun 12, 2011.

1. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    So I started putting some of the hardwire cloth up today. I had planed to used screws with washeres on them to put it up, however, I remembered that the nailgun I bought to put up our molding and trim at the house can also be used for staples. It uses 1" - 18 gauge - 1/4 crown staples....and I have lots of them!!! I used it in one side so far and it was not only very quick but it looks secure. I must add I didn't go cheap on them...I used them about ever 4" to 6" and some times 2 or 3 staples around the same spot (in "critical areas such as corners etc).

So the questionis: Is ok for me to only used those staples? (1" - 18 gauge - 1/4 crown staples) Or should I also use screws????

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and opinions.

You can look at what I have done so far on my coop here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=518501

2. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Sure but remember the wire is too keep animals out and staples will put the wire up but screws have threads and will stay in the wood with the washers to anchor it.

Caroline

3. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    although I have used sturdy staples only like you, it wouldn't hurt to add some screw and washers especially near the bottom to reinforce it. i will probably due that when we build our new run.

4. TheJuan-n-Only

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    Quote:Point taken!!! Thx

5. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    Me too on the doubling up with fender washers and screws! The stronger the better, especially on the bottom
    two feet of the run.

6. TheJuan-n-Only

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    Quote:I was just trying to be lazy hehehe..thanks for the advice, def will add screws...

7. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I put mine up with staples and then came along the raw edges and put slats of wood on top with screws. So far so good.

8. TheJuan-n-Only

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    Quote:Oh great idea...I may have some extra trim in the utility room....hhhmmmmm

9. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I wouldn't use any staples from any type of nail gun

FENCE staples are the only ones really secure

10. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I just used the staples to hold the wire up till we screwed it on. That stuff has a life of it's own and it takes no prisoners!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by