Star-Gazing Fits in week-old Chicks

PenzyHenz

In the Brooder
May 16, 2017
Hello~
A broody bantam of mine recently hatched 5 chicks a week ago. We have been keeping them, along with the mother, in a cardboard brooder in our house lined with newspaper and pine sawdust. We have also been regularly enhancing their drinking water with electrolytes. Today the mother stepped on a chick, rendering it to go into a muscular spasm and temporarily paralyzed. We took the broody out from the brooder to offset any additional injuries and promptly set up a heat lamp. Starting with the previously-injured chick, the entire clutch began developing these symptoms: First they act uncoordinated, peeping loudly; begin stargazing, then they slowly revive from their prostrate, post-gazing state after syringe-watering, while remaining unbalanced- some with their wings held out. They constantly act thirsty, yet they have been drinking religiously since Day 3- but they, as of this afternoon, are refusing feed. They are on the Purina Non-Medicated starter ration.
Could this possibly be a Thiamin deficiency, as I have read?
Thank you so much for any input in advance!

I would get them some poultry vitamins.
Start there.
I would not use pine dust....to fine..they could be inhaling it which could cause many problems too.

I would get them some poultry vitamins.
Start there.
I would not use pine dust....to fine..they could be inhaling it which could cause many problems too.
Do you have any recommendations on what vitamins to use?
And I mistakenly typed I have been using sawdust- I'm using pine shavings.
Thank you very much for your quick response!

Also, the most recent one to develop the symptoms, just went into a spasm and died a few minutes ago. :( Its beak and nostrils are overflowing with clear regurgitated liquid.

They may have some type of infection....they may need antibiotics.
Do you have a feed store near by?
Nutri Drench is a good vitamin.
@casportpony

What size is this brooder with the heat lamp.
Could it be too hot in there?
Do you have the heat on one side only....so they have room to get away from the heat?
Can you post a pic of the set up?

Back
Top Bottom