1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

star gazing plymoth barred rock

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cougar meadows, Nov 30, 2012.

1. cougar meadows

cougar meadows New Egg

Nov 30, 2012
    I have a 1 1/2 year old chicken that's doing the star gazing thing. She acts completely normal when eating or drinking or scratching, then she will just flip her head to the sky and do circles backwards, usually losing her balance and sitting down. She doesn't seem to be in pain or anything. The other 9 chickens are fine. They were moved to their winter coop (no outside access) about 2 months ago as it's too cold to go outside (-30), so I don't think it's a disease, they couldn't have got it from anywhere, and i haven't been on anyone elses farm. She has been removed from the flock into a seperate pen, but it's still inside the same room, just for her safety from the rooster. I've been giving them all an electrolyte from the local Ag store which has vitamin b12 for 2 days now. I am unable to get to town for 3 more days to get the childrens drops that has been recommended. If this is a vitamin deficiency, why does their feed not carry it, and how does only one bird get it? How long does it take for the vitamin drops to "cure" her? If it's NOT a vitamin deficiency and a disease what other symptoms would she be displaying?

2. cougar meadows

cougar meadows New Egg

Nov 30, 2012
    they also do NOT get any sunlight in this coop, just artificial light....

3. Chickadeeee

Chickadeeee Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2012
    1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by