Star Gazing

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jgiajnorio, Apr 18, 2012.

1. jgiajnorio

jgiajnorio Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    Have a roughly 6 week old silkie that has been star gazing for a bit over a week now. I caught it right away and have been adding multi vitamins to its water and had been giving it baby vitamins for about a week. I have also been adding vitamin e to its water. It does not seem to be getting any better. Anyone have any suggestions?

2. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    what is star gazing.

3. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    x2

4. lilsavage

lilsavage New Egg

Apr 19, 2012
    I have the same thing going on with my Silkie Chick... Im at a loss =(

5. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Star gazing is a neurological problem where the chick's head spasms backwards over it's back. Sometimes they flip over. Hence the term "star gazing" as if they are looking up at the sky. Silkie's are prone to this problem. Other times it's a deficiency of Vitamin B1 or Thiamine. If you're using "medicated" feed it contains Amprolium which blocks the absorption of Thiamin in the chicks body, the reason it's used is because Cocci feeds on Thiamine.

So for any of the chicks having this problem, drop the medicated feed if you're using it. Then give them additional Vitamin B1 in their water. I'm sorry I don't have an exact dosage but in the past we added Vit B1, Vit E and Selenium as all 3 work synergistically in the body -- we eyeballed the amount and had our chick looking better the next day. We continued treatment for a week and never saw it again.

Sometimes this type of thing happens if the parents' diet is lacking in Thiamine.

Hope you're able to cure them otherwise it's a life long condition. Do a search as there are tons of threads on star gazing.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  6. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    thanks for the info.never heard of it.wonderful information on this site.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by