Stargazing in an 10 month old orpington bantam - it's been a month

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kanakoschild, Feb 12, 2015.

1. kanakoschild

kanakoschild Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2014
    hi all,
    I have been treating our hen Pebbles for stargazing for one month. While in the coop cleaning - i saw another roo (silkie) try to breed with her, but pebbles wasn't happy and was fighting to get lose. Once the roo walked off her - i noticed her having the stargazing thing going on.

I immediately picked her up and took her in the house. I started treating her with the same items for wry neck - baby vi sol no iron, vit E and selerium 2-3 times a day. In the beginning she was only doing liquids in a dropper with me holding her head off her back. A little while later, she started to eat scramble eggs and mush with me holding her head off her back. I am guessing she is still hungry because I can hear her stomack/crop growl (just like us adults would if we were hungry).

She doesn't seem to be in any pain, and my kids said killing her is not an option - pebbles is my daughter's show chicken.

Along with what I have been doing, is there anything else I can try. I did start sprinkling some Turmeric on her scrambled eggs (just started doing that), but she doesn't like it - so she hasn't been eating much of it. So, then I would give her food without the turmeric on it, just so I know she has food in her.

I read on this group's page - that a lot people suggest giving Thiamine/Vit. B1 - should I also be doing this, or is this vit in the baby poly vi vitamins?????

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. We have her in the house now in a crate so she is by herself, and she gets fed 2-3 times or more a day.

thanks in advance for your help.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Wry neck can be caused by injuries to the head or neck, vitamin deficiencies, infections which cause inflammation of the brain, and from Mareks disease. Mareks is a little more common in silkies. Thiamine or vitamin B1 is included in almost any poultry vitamin or in PolyVisol. Vitamin E and selenium also should be included in treating wry neck, and selenium can be found in eggs, meat, fish, chopped nuts and sunflower seeds. Checking your label for ingredients should tell you what's in your vitamins. Poultry Nutri-Drench and Poultry Cell vitamins contain all 3 ingredients.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    See post #3 in this link:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/921336/star-gazing

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by