stargazing/wry neck? help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by larajmd, Aug 14, 2013.

1. larajmd

larajmd Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    I have 2 day old guinea fowl keet that is looking up to the sky and then flips over onto his back and gets stuck.

I've read this could be wry neck.

I have read that giving it extra vitamins may help so I give him a couple of drops of parrot/caged bird once a day.

I also separate him and put him in a tiny lunchbox to stabilize him for a few hours, I don't keep him in it all the time as he still needs to feed.
    (although I haven't seen him eat yet so also worried he isn't getting enough nutrients)

Has anyone got any idea what else I could do for this little guy?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Stargazing is caused by a lack of thiamine. I recommend Avian Super Pack. Dosage is 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water for 5 days. You'll need to use an eyedropper or syringe without needle to give it to him orally until he's able to drink and eat on his own.
    http://www.jefferspet.com/avian-super-pack/camid/LIV/cp/AB-P1/

3. larajmd

Aug 7, 2013
    Im in the UK. Desperately trying to find some thiamine online

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I keep Silkies and because of their vaulted skulls they're a little more prone to wry neck. Anyway, all the Silkie pros recommend Vit E and Selenium. I've never had a wry neck problem, but I keep some on hand just in case. Hope your keet feels better soon!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  5. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Can you get poly-vi-sol infant vitamins(without iron)they have thiamine in them.

6. larajmd

Aug 7, 2013
    Thanks everyone. Will keep u updated on progress x

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
  8. larajmd

Aug 7, 2013
    so I have woken up this morning to find our little stargazer is happy, strong and not flipping over at all.
    So happy.

Xx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by