Staring and Purring

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Fourgirlyhens, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Fourgirlyhens

Fourgirlyhens Just Hatched

Dec 4, 2016
    Juneau, Alaska
    Hello everyone! I'v only been a chicken mom for about 4 months now. I got our four hens when they were about 5-6 months old. They haven't started laying yet but I'm not too worried about that. It winter time and I live in Alaska where we only get a max amount of 5 hours of day light.

However, as I was cleaning out the coop today they were in the run eating the snow that had fallen in while I was cleaning. They were fine the whole time and then they randomly all froze and started purring. I thought they were looking at me but when I moved they didn't follow. Two where standing on one leg and the other two just froze where they were. Two were purring back and forth and the other two just stood still. I look around and there was no predictors that I could see. We have many bald eagles but I didn't see any around. Why would they all stop and star and purr?

Thank you for your suggestions and answers!

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I'm guessing they saw a predator that you just happened to miss, most likely an aerial one.

3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Howdy Fourgirlyhens, welcome to BYC!

I agree with lazy gardener in that it sounds like an aerial predator reaction.

We do not get a lot of aerial predators here but my gals have done the same thing in the past. Usually I can not see what has caused this reaction but on a couple of occasions I have been able to spot a Hawk, way off in the distance.

I will never cease to be amazed that chickens can not find a door that they just walked into to get back out but can spot a Hawk which our eyes can only barely see [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Either a predator or the all got brain freeze at the same time from eating snow.
    It never fails to amaze me how they love to eat snow, even when they have warm water in the coop to drink...smh.

1 person likes this.
  6. AllynTal

AllynTal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2014
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    OMG yes.

I just read this on chicken vision and thought folks here might be interested, too.
    https://mikethechickenvet.wordpress.com/2012/03/30/chicken-vision/

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

8. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Your Birds look to you for feed and water.......It is called Cooing.......If a Predator was around the would of Ran...........

Normal Sounds........Mine Coo all the time.....

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by