Starling for adoption

Anne21

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2017
NJ
Rescued starling looking for loving home. Very friendly. Raised from baby.

Attachments

• IMG_5422.JPG
    IMG_5422.JPG
    356.3 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_5471.JPG
    IMG_5471.JPG
    595.7 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_5477.JPG
    IMG_5477.JPG
    447.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_5478.JPG
    IMG_5478.JPG
    397 KB · Views: 72
Something not correct with wings. Is it underweight? Otherwise you should finish the job. Around here fledglings stay with mother for about a week before splitting off to join large juvenile murmurs that are joined by adults in mid to late summer.

Why do you think think underweight/ problem with with wings? I believe he/she was born about 2 months ago. Flys perfectly.

I have kept a lot of starlings growing up. Also watch them closely even now. Trained zoologist to boot. Body feathers fluffed up. Chick holding wings down. I only expect latter when begging for food and image of wings would appear blurred by wing movements. Fluffed indicates chick having trouble staying warm.

Is chick flying about to stay with you begging for food or looking for some on its own? It should be at least doing the former.

Age should not be much more than a month based on images.

Sorry you are correct. My son found him when I was out of town on May 11th. He follows me around pretty much every where I go. Pic below is today. He lands on me and other family members, guests. Also begs for food which I keep in his cage with the door opened outside. He does pick on the ground and have seen him eating ants. He left cage to go into a tree on our property 3 nights ago before dusk, but the next morning he didn't come back. I saw him blocks away landing on a neighbors shoulder while driving by. I walked near where he was and called him and he came flying to me. I've been shutting the cage now at night. Do you think I can transition him to be free as he is not afraid of people, cats, dogs? Would he survive in the wild?

Attachments

• IMG_5509.JPG
    IMG_5509.JPG
    265.8 KB · Views: 66
He will eventually loose most of his interest in humans if he can link up with juveniles of his kind. He will then take into account their responses to threats and learn to respond in similar manner as that is partially hardwired into its reactions. Problem is it will be behind the curve and being so just a little can be a big problem in times ahead like during winter and during breeding season next year. Odds of success still not zero.

Back
Top Bottom