1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Starlings Diet

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by deerman, Feb 11, 2009.

1. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Yes I know these are pest and need to be control.

Saw so many post how these birds are eating everyones feed.

Fact these eat mostly insects, have thousand get in my peafowl barns, never have I seen any fly from my feeders.

More to worry about native birds eating your feed, than these pest.

Yes they steal nest from native birds, good thing they are NOT big grain eater. As many as I see around the barns they would eat 50 lbs of grain a day.

2. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    they can carry disease and parasites to your flock, thats the main reason you dont want them in with your birds, now sparrows will flock and eat ALL of your food, and thats when you get a tenis racket! [​IMG]

3. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

Sturnis vulgaris, European Starlings are considered invasive species that destroy crops and compete with native species. They might compete with cavity nesting birds. They are omnivorous. They also congregate in large roosts. Areas where they have roosted are known to be infected with histoplasmosis, a fungal disease that primarily affects the lungs of people that contract it.

They often flock with blackbirds. I have seen them at and around my wild bird feeders.

They are not protected, they are fair game for extermination. Good luck at exterminating them. Our current population started out with 100 birds released in New York.

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:Yep, know we need to try to get rid of them, and it all start with a Lady released 13 in central park.

Lots of reason to remove them, it just not true about them eating so much grain.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by