STARLINGS, graphic text

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by scooter147, Dec 29, 2009.

1. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Lulu 40 Starlings 0. I HATE THOSE NASTY, CRAPPING, DISEASE CARRYING BACTERIA WITH WINGS.

The starlings are entering my pop door, eating my chicken food and CRAPPING ON EVERTHING, even the front and one side of my coop has a ton of starlings crap on it.

Sunday I went out and when I opened the human door it was literally an explosion of starlings. I quickly slammed the pop door shut and summoned Lulu my Boston Terrier. With my help we eliminated 40 in about 20 minutes.

So as a result of all that I have not let my chickens out yesterday or today. I don't want those nasty things in my coop (I had some issues last year with them but nothing like this).

This weekend Lulu and I will be watching out the dining room window an when we see them funneling in we will set the trap. I may not win the war but I am going to win a few battles.

By the way before I left for work there were probably 20 on the coop roof looking over the edge to see if the door was open.

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    nasty little things.. do you have a run that you can net off the top so they cant get in?..

3. hunter1hall

hunter1hall Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    Mackville, Kentucky
    Shotguns work well too. Hot lead and thunder. Works for me!

4. scooter147

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I have netting over the run, they come in through the one inch woven wire sides.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  5. scooter147

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    TRUST ME Huneter 1 if I could shoot a shutgun I'd melt the barrell of the gun shooting those nasty things. However, I live in the 'burbs and can't shoot.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    And those finches, they crap on everything!

7. scooter147

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Ewesheep, do the finches get into your coops?
    I have house finches and tons of sparrows but they stay out of the coop, it's only the starlings that are smart or brave enough to go inside.

8. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    We don't have a lot of starlings where I live, but I have to tell you I went to Italy a few years back and was amazed by the flocks they have there. I was in Rome and saw in the distance flying over the city these MASSIVE flocks of birds. It was amazing. They were spinning and forming ever changing patterns. It looked like large schools of fish in the sky. I had no idea what they were at the time, but it was truly impressive. They are a big problem in Italy spreading disease and bird droppings everywhere, destroying sculpture and historic buildings. Nasty creatures.

9. Windrider

Windrider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yeah, but at least they are native to Italy and the rest of Europe! The most numerous bird in North America is the starling and it isn't even native here. The damage they are doing to our natives is tremendous - spreading disease, bullying natives from their nests, and hogging the food resources. http://sialis.org/

Don't
    let anyone try to lay a guilt trip on you for eliminating these pests. Starlings are one subject where environmentalists, farmers, and backyard birders all agree!

That also goes for the House Sparrow - another introduced European pest. I assume that's what EweSheep means by finches? House sparrows are more properly called Weaver Finches.

10. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I sat outside many days this fall with my pellet gun shooting sparrows and starlings.....

My husband bought me a new high powered pellet gun with an awesome scope on it for Christmas!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by