Starlings in my Coop!!!!

skunknchatter

Crowing
16 Years
Aug 19, 2007
Northern Utah
I have, what started out as 10, over 50 starlings in my coop every day eating all of my chicken feed! I don't know what to do! Not only is it getting expensive but I'm afraid of lice/mites and other diseases from the wild birds. My coop is a chain link kennel around a inclosed coop that I lock them in at night. I would lock the food in with them at night but I also have 2 ducks that live in the run and can't get up into the coop. Has anyone had any luck with decoys or anything to scare the birds off?

If you get some of that flimsy black plastic bird-or-trellis-or-deer netting and TOTALLY wrap the chainlink kennel in it (including the top) that will "mostly" keep them out. I.e. you may need to repair it sometimes if they find/make a hole, but by and large they won't go thru it.

They certainly can be pigs!

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

I had a starling invasion last weekend. I went to Lowes and got some cheap plastic bird netting. Sold in the garden center. That plus a few shot down with the bb gun solved the problem. They haven't been back since. A few flew by to try and get in,but no such luck. The bird netting solved my problem. And yes, they do eat a lot of feed.

Told hubby I'm heading out with his BB gun. I'll check for plastic netting today. They are driving me freaking crazy!!! They eat more than a flock of turkeys and they are tiny. Not to mention all the little bird poops on everything!!! Thanks for the help.

rant.gif

I hates me some starlings!

They are the one bird, I can and will kill if I can get my hands on it, or hit it with a board or trap in a bag and smash! I hates them!

What I have been doing is actually going into the coop with them and either smash them with a board, or trap in a bag and then kill. Seems to make the escapees less likely to re-enter the coop. They go right in my pop door.
tongue.gif

I also stopped free feeding the chickens/ducks/geese. I feed them three times a day - morning and night they get their pellets, mid-day a treat.

Best of luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom