Starlings over taking barn!!!!

Inkheart

Songster
9 Years
Aug 15, 2010
Columbus Ohio
I have a fairly large barn - doors- closeable etc. I have picked extra insulation up high in spots where i see they might be getting in. They are becoming annoyingly numerous in there. Any suggestions how to get them out ? Experience in this ? Etc? Pesty lil buggers and they have taken to eating the chickens feed ---grrrrrr

Starlings are the rats of the avian world. The only bird I hate. They are dirty, nasty, dangerous theives. Some built a huge colony nest in the side of our house when I was a kid, when we finally got rid of them we found pebbles, string, bones, plastic and even matches in there! I personally would not hesitate to poison them if I could not keep them out.

My only worry with poisoning them is their droppings having poison in them and would harm my chickens or two goats. How did you get rid of them on your house> I know ia gree - I LOVE birds - but they are less than my favorite!!!!

First of all, how many is a lot, and if the barn is totally enclosed at all times, you ever thought of putting a few cats in there? Also find where they are getting in and maybe put netting over it? I agree, they are very much the pest.

D'Angelo N Va. :

First of all, how many is a lot, and if the barn is totally enclosed at all times, you ever thought of putting a few cats in there? Also find where they are getting in and maybe put netting over it? I agree, they are very much the pest.

Tried the netting and they picked tru it and around it! Smart lil buggers - I am thinking about 20 at least . There are cats - they get all sorts of critters but alas none ot the starlings - ceiling is about 30 feet high - cats cannot get to them - they come in thru the door that the chickens go in and out of -​

I used to get lots of target practice with my BB gun in the barn when I was a kid. Its time consuming to get all of the birds but if you have a flock of 20 or so it wont take long to get rid of them.

Almost all birds are protected and can't be shot- except for Starlings and House Sparrows; both of them are not native to the U.S. and are causing declines among our native species. So shoot away!

I have tried the sparrow trap mentioned above and it does work, I wonder if it'd work for starlings as well?

They are a pest, I know, but before you kill them take a look at youtube...just type in "talking starling"

They are amazing!

I had starlings a few years ago, but changed my wild bird feeders to just safflower, and they left. Haven't even been back for the chicken feed.

Back
Top Bottom