Start and stop laying. Am I overdoing the treats?

mola_mil

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 3, 2011
I'm a newbie to the whole urban chicken thing. We started with a Sicilian Buttercup and Light Brahma. Both have reached laying age and the Buttercup was the first to start squatting and lay. Her first egg was soft and dropped from her roosting bar. Three days later she laid a perfectly shaped, hard egg, right in her nesting box. That was over a week ago and since then nothing from her. The Brahma started shortly after the Buttercup and from her first egg, they've been perfect and hard. She's laid just about everyday for the 1.5 weeks she's been laying. I'm wondering what's up with the Buttercup. Is this typical laying for the beginner chick? Or could we be feeding her too many treats? We have the layer feed in the coop for both, but they free range all day long and it doesn't appear that they eat so much of their feed. We give them treats every day, mostly veggies, but often a slice of bread too. Is this too much?

I'll appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks!

In my mind you can never give your chicken to many treats. Egg laying will cease if chicken is:
-under stress.
-molting
-If it is to hot or too cold
-Some chickens will take "breaks"
-And there are many other variables to egg laying just stopping.
smile.png

My 19 week old 2nd generation RSL laid her first egg on the 6th and did not lay another one until today. Both were good eggs laid in a nesting box. My 21 week old BR laid her first egg on the 7th and has laid every single day, good eggs, laid in the nest box. None of the rest of my flock has laid anything yet. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to when or how often chickens lay.

I think it's pretty common to have some "sputtering" when they first start laying. I'd give her a few weeks before you get worried.

My girl laid then skipped laid then skipped. Now she lays each day but funny hours, mornings some days, evenings some days. No ryme or reason lol. The others have not laid yet, hoping soon!

Back
Top Bottom