START FRESH!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by tammy m, Jan 14, 2013.

1. tammy m

tammy m New Egg

Sep 15, 2012
    Well after winter is over i am going to get more chickens. Still having a hard time after loosing all but two to the killer weasles! But i will be happy to get more this spring. Think i will get some more bantams and some egg layers. Not sure what kind yet. Any suggestions???

2. BeulahBreezes

BeulahBreezes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Western NY
    Hi! I lost my favorite hen to a hawk yesterday..:( I only had 4 chickens to start with....and now I am down to 3 and out of the 3, only 1 RIR is laying:( The hawk took my other RIR who was laying too) I also have 2 CuckooMarans, both have not laid an egg since mid-October..... Early this spring I am getting some mre baby chicks too. I think I will be getting some red or gold sex-linked chickies, just to be sure I get females........best wishes to you! ~Beulah

3. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    Before you get more chickens have you sorted out the weasel problem?

If not, then the new chickens will end up as weasel food again.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    x2

5. The Lazy L

The Lazy L Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011

x3

6. joan1708

joan1708 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    DFW - mid cities, Tx
    I've heard guinea hens can fight off weasels, but "they say" guineas are also loud and obnoxious.

7. CottonGinWaste

CottonGinWaste Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2012
    Mobile, AL
    They are very loud and very obnoxious and good watchdogs but do not count on them protecting other birds. Mine flew at and attacked a hawk that struck at a momma guinea but they only alarm call when the chickens get attacked. And we've learned to (mostly) distinguish between the "hawk attack!" alarm call vs the "leaf fell from a tree!" alarm call. Their intelligence quotient makes chickens look like Einstein. That being said, we like our guineas and will always keep a subflock while we have chickens.

Tighten up your chickens' sleeping area. Can't go wrong with Barred Rocks, Buff Orps, and Ameracaunas (for a little color.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by