Start laying eggs this late?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by greenbean62657, Nov 6, 2010.

1. greenbean62657

greenbean62657 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2010
    I have 3 silver laced wyndotte hens that are now 25 weeks old - and no eggs yet. They are free range - do I need to teach them to lay in their nesting boxes? We have added a light - but it is one of the low energy florescent kinds - does this provide enough light? Or are we out of luck until the days get longer in the spring? Thanks for any suggestions!

2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I am wondering the same thing, I think it maybe the shorter days and the colder weather.
    I've heard that Cayenne pepper flakes are suppost to help with laying. [​IMG]
    Best Of Luck

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Just because they're free range doesn't mean they won't lay in the boxes. [​IMG] All my girls instictually know where the "nesting room" is, even if I've never seen them go in there before they started laying. . .

I wouldn't worry if I were you, honestly. Some pullets just take a little longer. Putting in extra lights and changing their diet will actually cause too much change and perhaps stress, halts your egg laying chances. Not all pullets begin at 21 weeks. [​IMG]

4. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    They maybe laying in a spot they found and like since they are free ranging. I put golf balls in the boxes when they first start laying I think it helps a bit. But be sure to kind of follow the to see where they are going...you may find a stash of eggs.

5. greenbean62657

Feb 28, 2010
    Thanks - any ideas about the light bulb I'm using??? We only have the "green" type of bulbs - no incandescense bulbs any more - but I'll go get one if I need to. Also - how long should they be on for???

6. coulter5

coulter5 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2010
    Townsend, MA
    The type of light isn't important. They just need light.
    Make sure that they have 12-16 hrs of light per day (including daylight)
    I have a light on for about 4 hrs a day. I am in New England, and this is what I do every winter.

-Mike

7. greenbean62657

Feb 28, 2010
    Thanks! That is what we have going - so now I'll practice patience! And check under the porch for eggs.

8. Ed62

Ed62 Chillin' With My Peeps

Our flock is 27 weeks old now. We only have 1 hen laying, and she started on the 28th of Oct. She only missed 2 days without an egg. I'm wondering if some of the others might wait till spring. We're not using additional light, so that might be a factor.

The eggs we're getting now are small. If the others wait till spring, maybe we'll have eggs the size of a TV set. [​IMG]

Ed

9. kendra1178

kendra1178 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2010
    Muskegon, Michigan
    I have 7 young hens laying, and I'm waiting on 3 more to start. This is my first time ever having chickens (starting in April). A couple weeks ago, when the days started seeming shorter, we noticed the egg production went way down- we were averaging about 3 per day instead of about 6 per day that we were used to. So last week, hubby put a light in the coop, and within a day or so, we were right back up to the normal amount of eggs. I guess it made a huge difference for my chickens.

We have the light on a timer. It comes on at 4am, and off at 8am when it is pretty much light outside. We do the artificial light in the morning rather than in the evening because we want them to be able to put themselves to bed naturally like they always do just before dusk.

10. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Quote:I.set my timer in the am and then for right about when it gets dark. They usually still bring themselves into the chicken house when they notice the light came on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by