Start of coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jodiea60, Jul 27, 2011.

1. jodiea60

jodiea60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Arkansaw
    We are buying a round wire corncrib...Will build the coop inside up off the ground with the nesting box access on the outside...the will have the whole bottom for a run...Will wrap in hardware cloth from underground to half way up..about 4 ft..Is that high enough? Hope to house 2 bunnies in it too....The crib is 15' high we are going to cut down to 7.5'...and put the metal roof on....Now to order chicks:D..Will keep ya posted...If anyone has any suggestions let me hear them...

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Sounds like you have it under control, please keep us posted with pictures and details.
    Omran

3. FriendlyFlyer

FriendlyFlyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    I agree it sounds like you have a great idea. 4' is plenty high for chickens. I DON'T mean to sound bossy or rude at all! But, if I had a corn crib like you have, I'd put my coop on the outside of it and put a small chicken door going into the corn crib. I would just do that to give the chickens more room. Also, chickens are very addictive so you might want to get more in the future. Just a thought... But your idea IS great!!!!!

4. jodiea60

Jul 18, 2011
    Arkansaw
    FriendlyFlyer...That was my thought....I will definately talk more to my building engineer....[​IMG]

5. FriendlyFlyer

FriendlyFlyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    [​IMG] Haha I'm glad! Hey, if you could post some pics when it's finished, I'd love to see how it turns out!

6. North 4th Street Rancher

North 4th Street Rancher New Egg

Jul 15, 2011
    I applaud your enthusiasm. Don't know where you live and I haven't seen the crib, obviously, but we have taken down at least a 6 or 7 over the last 10 years. It is/can be a project. We mostly use them for livestock panels. Of course you have to lay them flat and weigh them awhile to take the curve out. Since you said you are buying it I would assume it has to be moved. Boy, that's a lot of work... Go out and take another look at how it is built. It may not be the same as the ones I have dealt with. Take the crib, save it for panels, build the coop and run from 6ft. chain link fence which will stop anything, and can be moved and added to much more easily. A decent wire crib still standing on the average farm should be able to hold the bunny from Quest For The Holy Grail. [​IMG]

7. jodiea60

Jul 18, 2011
    Arkansaw
    This am Hubby comes to me and says....Maybe we should put the coop on the outside!![​IMG]..
    North floor: The coop is already disassembled and we intend to put it back together in a circle as its meant to be..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by