1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Start of hackles??? Breed and Gender help?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Griffy, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Griffy

Griffy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2016
    Out of nine 4.5 week old chicks i have one with long neck feather. They are very pretty but concerned that it might be the start of hackles. I know its really early to tell gender but just wondering if anyone had any opinions. Im new to chickens but I dont think the comb scream roo. Also do you know what breed? Sorry for poor quality photos this one wouldnt sit still. [​IMG]
    Pic#2[​IMG]
    Pic#3[​IMG]
    Thanks!!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I believe it's a golden campine, nothing is screaming rooster at the moment, but it's early.

3. Griffy

Mar 18, 2016
    I will post pics as they get older, thanks!

4. lovabutterfly

lovabutterfly Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2016
    Blackwell, OK.
    No shes a pullet for sure

5. rebrascora

rebrascora Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    I thought it might be an easter egger with those puffy cheeks. I agree that it's not showing any obvious male traits yet. Comb development and colour is usually the earliest indication of a. roo. This chicks comb might be slightly pinker than I would be confident of saying pullet but not enough to make me worry it was a cockerel.. Male feathering starts to show about 12 weeks onwards.

6. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Totally missed the cheeks, you are probably right, I should stop answering posts when I am tired.

7. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    I agree with your post, but i did notice the cheeks. I think that's what my campine had though. My rooster had a big red comb at this age....

8. Griffy

Mar 18, 2016
    I appreciate all your answers!!! As long as its pointing towards a hen im good with it. Pictures dont do her justice but she is beautiful and hoping that i can keep her is what really matters :)

9. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!

She is gorgeous. I just love my Campine rooster. He looks exactly like your hen in coloring....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by