1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

start to finish questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cajunlizz, Jun 30, 2008.

1. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    [​IMG] GOT to laugh before I can start to even post this thread .

Could somebody be so kind as to give me instructions from START to FINISH about hatching eggs . I do not have an incubator , SO can this all be done the OLD FASHION WAY ? HEN CAN DO IT ALL ?

OK OK OK , CALL ME A DUMMY , BUT EVERYBODY HAS A 1st. Day at something [​IMG]

LAYING , HATCHING , DAYS WITH HEN , EATING >>>> BLA BLA BLA ??????????[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. flock-mama

flock-mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    Do you have a Broody hen? I mean you have to have a willing hen or it wont work. lol.
    Do you have firtle eggs?
    Keep in mind I have only been at this for 5 yrs.

3. cajunlizz

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    WE had a broody hen , WITH NO EGGS AND NO ROOSTER .

We are trying to learn the whole procedure from start to finish IF we do decide to get roosters , ETC.

We have 35 pullets , all varity of ages .

ALSO which breed rooster would be the calmest and the most friendly ?

Hate the think I would be starting a WAR by bringing in roosters .....

4. flock-mama

flock-mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    Bayfield colorado
    Ok if you have a hen to sit on firtle eggs, it takes 21 days to hatch.
    So maybe someone living close to you that has chickens, could loan you a rooster. Sometimes you can buy firtle eggs, but you would need a broody hen or a incubator. Mostly I get 2 day olds and put them under a light.
    I have a hen who has her 8 chicks, she does it all for them. But she layed and sat on her eggs by her own choice, other wise I would make other hens sit too. lol. I have 20 chicks under a light in my bathroom. I needed to replace what I lost through winter. I don't know if I helped you. Good luck.

5. cajunlizz

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:OK ... IF the fertile eggs stay under the hen the 21 days and they all hatch , DO we move the chicks or leave them with the mother ? IF we move them , Special place they have to be ? LIGHTS , ETC . ? For how long ? Inside the house , OR cage outside ?

We DO NOT EVER get very cold tempetures here . LIKE right now , its JUNE 30th. and temps in the 90's and should be like this thru Aug. /Sept. . Cools off a littel OCT and NOV. we may get a FEW COLD days DEC. Jan. and Feb. then A/C comes back on from March thru Oct.

How soon do we have to start feeding them ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by