Start with chickens next year

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AshleyArender, Oct 17, 2014.

1. AshleyArender

AshleyArender New Egg

Oct 17, 2014
    Yazoo county MS
    I am from Mississippi and next year I will be beginning my first year of starting a homestead .... I want to buy chickens after harvest so I can stick up food for them ... What are the beat chickens for eggs and for meat can be several did types ... Also how many chickens can u have to one rooster and do they have to be the same breed

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to backyard chickens. One rooster can handle 10 hens. Unless you want to raise purebred chicks to sell - the rooster and hens can be any breeds you want. I'm not sure about the best duo purpose breeds but, I'm sure the next responders will know.

3. AshleyArender

AshleyArender New Egg

Oct 17, 2014
    Yazoo county MS
    Well I want a breed that's good for eggs and then a breed that's good for meat

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. The best layers are White Leghorns and Sex Links. These are the hens used by commercial laying houses for producing their white eggs (White Leghorns) and their brown eggs (Sex Links). A caged White Leghorn holds the laying record with 371 eggs in 365 days, however this is under ideal conditions; good lighting and warm temperatures. In really cold winter weather, the Sex Links will actually outlay them. In addition, White Leghorns are high strung and flighty. Mine screamed bloody murder whenever I handled them (which is why I don't keep them anymore). Sex Links which come in two varieties (Black and Red) are much calmer and gentler than Leghorns and are egg laying machines. I've raised them for years and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. I slightly prefer the Black Sex Links (Black Stars) to the Red Sex Links (Red Stars) as my Blacks have been a little friendlier and slightly better layers in really cold winter weather, but you can't go wrong with either sex link variety. For meat, Cornish cross is the way to go. Their growth rate is fantastic and they are ready to butcher at 8 weeks. In fact, if you wait much past that time, they begin to develop all kinds of health problems due to their abnormal growth rates. X2 on drumstick diva's 10 to 1, hen to rooster ratio. Too many roosters will be very hard physically on your hens; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them. In fact the only reason you might even need a rooster is to fertilize eggs for hatching. I currently have 25 hens and no roosters, and I get loads of eggs without all the aggression, fights, biting and feather plucking, non-productive mouths to feed, crowing in the middle of the night, and over-breeding and battering of hens that typically goes along with having roosters (especially too many). My hens are stress free, and enjoying life without any roosters around. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your flock.

2 people like this.
  5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Michael has said a mouthful! So I will just welcome you to BYC. Good luck with all your poultry projects and if you have any questions along the way, feel free to ask.

Welcome to our flock!

6. AshleyArender

AshleyArender New Egg

Oct 17, 2014
    Yazoo county MS
    Thank y'all

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome.

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by