Started 3 Mille Fleur d'Uccle eggs this morning ...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Cherstin, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Cherstin

Cherstin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    North Port, FL
    and I sure hope I selected the "right" three out of the dozen that were sent! [​IMG]

Another girl with an empty incubator is coming this morning for the free extras. It's been two years since I've had chickens, so it's been great reading the forums again and relearning everything I can.

Quick question: I have a forced air incubator, an R-Com mini. What is all of your opinions and/or experience about choosing five or seven eggs to start with and "loading" the incubator (it's only "meant" to hold and turn three at a time) until day seven, when I might be able to catch a glimpse of progress during candling, and choosing the "best" three at that point? Do any of you "overload" your incubators initially? My heart wants to do this just to ensure a better hatch rate than just a day one candling, but my mind is telling me not to sacrifice the hatch right off the bat. I'm afraid that by stacking and bunching the eggs now, I might lose all of them.

Open to suggestions! Thanks, forum ... it's great to be back! [​IMG]

2. Cherstin

Cherstin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    North Port, FL
    UPDATE: Decided against loading the incubator. I selected three good-looking eggs, evenly sized and not too porous. The eBayer was nice enough to pencil the collection dates on them, so I also selected three from different days, in case fertilization had stopped.

Fingers still crossed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by