Started a new MONSTER coop this weekend

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Fredster, Oct 14, 2008.

1. Fredster

Fredster Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Alabama
    [​IMG]

I started work on what will hopefully be our last chicken coop Friday afternoon. After all the time I spent on building a 10x12 one earlier this year, we ended up with more chickens than it can comfortably hold. So, after much discussion with my wife, we decided to fence in our 2.5 acre field and build a coop big enough to hold a hundred or more chickens.

We have some sort of addiction thing going on, I think. We've gone from 13 to 70 chickens this year.

The old coop will become much-needed storage space, so it's not going to waste.

The new coop is pole-barn-like in structure, because (a) it's cheaper, and (b) you can build them quickly. It's about 12x24 (I say 'about' because I believe things should be 'square enough' rather than 'in square' ). I think there will be 16-20 nestboxes, and the current plan is for 96 feet of roost space, with room to grow.

[​IMG]

It's like a small house, practically. [​IMG]

2. okiemommy

okiemommy Mother of 5, Prisoner to None

May 26, 2008
    Okla-Homa
    WOW!!! That is a monster coop! Be sure to update us! [​IMG]

3. Picky Chicky

Picky Chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Holly Grove, VA
    If you don't mind I'll be living vicariously through you until I can convince DH to make me a monster coop of my very own! [​IMG]

4. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

*crtrlovr keeps repeating "thou shalt not covet. thou shalt not covet. thou shalt not covet" ... *

5. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    To heck with that. It's bigger than my house!

Covet, covet, covet....etc.

Quote:

6. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    WOW! Nice place you have there or should I say nice place the chickens have there.

7. Fredster

Fredster Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Alabama
    Quote:Yeah, they have it pretty good here. We figure if we're going to ask them to give their lives for us they might as well have a decent one. [​IMG]

(plus all this room clears the way for MORE CHICKENS!)

8. cravenchicken

cravenchicken Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2008
    WOW I can only dream of being as cool as you [​IMG]

9. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Great start on a huge coop.

10. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    Sweet Creeping Jesus! That's going to be awesome! Keep us updated with pictures!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by