Started Bantam Chocolate Orpington Pair

pips&peeps

There is no "I" in Ameraucana
Jan 18, 2008
Newman Lake, WA
I am offering one pair of bantam chocolate orpington chicks. These are pure english birds from the Rob Boyd lines, not crossed with any american birds.

These chicks have been vaccinated for mareks. Shipping is a flat $55.00 for box and express mail service when the birds are old enough to be shipped. (a couple more weeks) The pictures are of some of the birds when they first hatched a few weeks ago. They are around 4-6 weeks of age now. If your State requires additional testing to legally ship the bird, you will be responsible for those charges also. Of course I am NPIP certified and AI clean. Buyer to pay Paypal fees.

5845_chocolate_001.jpg

5845_chocolate_002.jpg

Last edited:
Ugh. You couldn't post this before I bought a horse... Hmmm... horse or chocolate bantam Orps. That would have been a no brainer.

Now for a serious question... I believe I read somewhere that the bantam Orps can have some leg feathering. Is that true and have you been getting any by chance? Thanks!

Yep, I have a couple with some stubs and yes, they come from the same lines as everyone elses that currently have them.

It just takes putting the right two birds together and wa la a genetic anomalie! I hope to change the cock bird soon, since I have a couple to choose from.

The ones with stubs would be great for breeding chocolate cochins or other feather legged birds.

I am trying to make these guys affordable to most people while still recouping what I put out for them. My main goal is to make some chocolate versions of a couple different breeds we already have in the US. I already have all the birds in pens and am just waiting on sexual maturity in the last two cockerels. I also don't want to be that "breeder" (and I use the term lightly) that goes out and makes a killing off of crappy lightly started birds in different breeds.

I have several years of breeding experience under my belt. I know what an off colored juvenile feather is, what a stub is, defects and DQ's, and the difference between a "breed" and a "variety". I am thankful to those that brought the birds in, but I really don't recognize them or some of the newest owners of the variety as breeders. It also helps that I have partnered with one of the best West Coast breeders of orpingtons to guide me.

Yeah, I asked because I want the stubs for exactly the reason you stated - Chocolate Cochins!
I have been watching some egg auction for chocolate Orps and they are going for less than $50 an egg right now, but I am so afraid to take a chance on them. I can't afford to take that kind of a chance, either. I will have my chocolate Orps by spring, though... Earlier if I can help it.

pips&peeps :

Yeah! We have a bid.
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

Yay me! (Actually it was my enabler husband that made the bid while I was doing the "Should I, should I not?" routine!)
fl.gif
Hoping his bid holds out until the auction is over.
smile.png

Last edited:
I got to see a few of Jean's Bantam Chocolate Orpington chicks in Indy last week..................

droolin.gif
They are gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!!!

But then again---all of her birds are gorgeous!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom