Started by third batch of eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BlackAce, Aug 17, 2013.

1. BlackAce

BlackAce Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2013
    I just got 12 Rhode Island Red egg and 8 Red Bourbon Turkey eggs (thank to Arielle) . I placed them in the incubator and hoping I'll get some better luck with these. I previously had 8 RIR's and 8 Cayuga Ducks eggs in my incubator and got ZERO to hatch. I think I know why. So hopefully in 7 days when I candle them I'll have something good to see. lol

2. jackslolita

jackslolita Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2013
    good luck :)
    i am also on cycle #3 with no live births yet.

i did get 5 chicks last time ( but none hatched - only 1 was ready to hatch but didnt).

I am on day 2 today. I have 11 chicken eggs.

Not sure which breed these are. 5 whites, 5 beiges and 1 dark beige.

I am using a real incubator this time ( last time it was a homemade- worked wonderful btw until lockdown).

This cycle i am weighing the eggs, and candling only on certain days.

everything is charted, plotted, noted, circled , written down :p

again GOOD LUCK cycle buddy!!

3. BlackAce

Jun 7, 2013
    Im also on day 2. I was just looking at the incubator and it looking nice and steady. Everything is going smooth so far. I think the whole thing was from using a faulty digital thermometer last time.

Here's my other post

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/816150/calibrating-a-digital-thermometer

I using a home made incubator now. The wifey wont let me buy one lol Although she is really enjoying incubating the eggs.

4. BlackAce

Jun 7, 2013
    My wife went to turn the eggs this morning and of them exploded. The eggs are only a few days old. What would have caused that? I was thinking the humidity. I have it at about 60%

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Rotten eggs explode. How old were the eggs? Bacteria and old age can make eggs bad.

6. BlackAce

Jun 7, 2013
    The egg that exploded was only a couple days old. Everything looked good with the yolk, it looked normal. Could the humidity have something to do with it.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I don't think that humidity would have anything to do with it, as 60% is correct for incubators. To tell the truth, I have no idea why a fresh, perfectly good egg would explode. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  8. BlackAce

Jun 7, 2013
    Yea I thought it was strange too. At first we thought some one accidentally dropped it. But after looking inside the incubator there were pieces of the shell along with the dried up egg whites at the other end of it. I looked at the egg there wasn't an indentation on it like it was dropped. So the only conclusion was that it exploded.

I was thinking the air sack with humidity maybe some how cause to much pressure in the egg which caused it to explode?

The humidity has been pretty constant at 60%.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by