started egg on april 21 - still live egg May 31????

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cedar, May 31, 2010.

1. cedar

cedar New Egg

May 31, 2010
    HI I started 10 chick eggs on april 21 they must have been born at least a day or two before none of the eggs made it - the temp was too low I think HOWEVER I have one egg that will move around when tapped - it is definitely alive - how come???? do I just keep waiting????

2. abanjaf

abanjaf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    Cocoa, Florida
    Quote:Welcome to BYC! When you say that "they must have been born at least a day or two before", you are talking about when the hen layed the eggs, right? Are you sure about your dates? There is not a chicken egg that would still be alive after 5 weeks. I don't think that the egg is moving in response to your tapping. I hate to sound harsh here, but the weight of a dead embryo (dead baby chick) can cause the egg to settle in one position and when you tap on it and offset its position, it will return to where the weight is heaviest. Do you understand what I mean? If you were closer to the 21 day incubation period, I would recommend candling the egg to check for signs of life. But if that chicken egg has been in the incubator for 40 days, I would just throw it away and try again:(

3. cedar

cedar New Egg

May 31, 2010
    HI yes they were born just before April 21, this is weird I am positive of the dates as I teach K and we documented their arrival. The egg is not just rolling and settling. It is definitely alive in there. I have had a few other eggs that settle like you said but this one is moving - it rolls and vibrates for some time after I place it on the table - I have many watch and all agree it is alive. What is going on? Should I open it? We cannot candle as the egg is brown and we could not see anything at any time.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  4. SarahIrl

SarahIrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    West Cork, Ireland
    I'd open it, very carefuly, in a plastic bag just in case. With gloves on. Knock a hole in the air cell end and see. If there's a live chicken in there, call the Guinness records office!!

If it was laid the 21st April, was it incubated on the same day? It is 21 days of incubation, not since it was laid.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  5. SarahIrl

SarahIrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    West Cork, Ireland
    Did you open the egg yet?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by