Started incubating with eggs wrong side up, is it too late??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by oatsbgoats, Apr 18, 2012.

1. oatsbgoats

oatsbgoats Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2012
    Hello all!

Newish chicken mamma here, and first-time chicken hatcher :) I'm feeling SO stupid right now, as I just realized that I placed my eggs in the turner (I'm using a LG forced air incubator with motorized egg turner) Large side down....which I see now is wrong wrong wrong :( I have corrected the problem, but I want to know if it's too late. I have multiple staggered hatch dates, but the oldest group was on day 12 today before I realized my mistake. I've been SO meticulous about everything else and I go and make a big mistake like this....ugh! Thanks in advance for the help and advice!!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    :frow Welcome to the forum! :frow Glad you joined us! :frow

It is obviously not a good thing but not necessarily a total disaster. Another poster recently said she went through an entire incubation and lockdown with the eggs turned the wrong way and still got one to hatch. A lot did not hatch, but that was through an entire incubation and lockdown. You may have lost some but then you may still get a real good hatch. There is no way to know for certain yet.

The risk is that the air cell could become displaced. Could, not necessarily will. I don't know how much, if any, that might affect the chick's development, but a big risk is that during internal pip the chick doesn't find the air cell. You may have caught it in time for all of them. I just don't know about that part, but I'm sure they have a chance.

Don't beat yourself up too much about it. We all make mistakes. It's whether we learn from them or not that is important.

3. oatsbgoats

oatsbgoats Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2012
    Thank you so much... I just can't believe how much there is to know!! Still beating myself up here... Ugh... :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by