1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

started laying!!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Mibotsu, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    alrighty, i hatched my own birds about 6 weeks ago from my own eggs, well the females JUST started laying today, got my first egg from the new batch that are now mixed in with my older birds, everyone is doing great. got one male in with 6 females(soon to be 5 females b/c one of them has a broken egg machine)

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Awesome! I am laughing at the broken egg machine though...I think I have one as well LOL

3. Mibotsu

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    yea i've posted about it before...she is about 5 months old, never ever laid an egg

4. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Quote:I'm afraid to ask. LOL!

Congrats on the eggs!
    I'll bet it's exciting having your own start laying.

I have 4 week old Jumbos, so I'm counting the days . LOL!

3 boys, 5 girls, there better be some fertile when they do start to lay. [​IMG]

5. Mibotsu

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    honestly, i'd kill 2 of the males lol, once they start getting in the "mood" there might not be enough female to go around, i'd drop to 2 males at the VERY most. i like to run a 1:4 ratio m:f, any less and it can get messy(with coturnix not as much, but the threat is there)

i had 1:4 before and all my girls that lay were fertile with no issues

6. The Critter Place

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Quote:[​IMG]
    Can't, there my babies! :) And the only ones I have at the moment. [​IMG]
    I plan to separate them soon!
    I ordered more eggs last night from Quaillady.. so I will have more to pair them up later. They will be moved to a planted aviary in a colony.

Great advice for new comers though.

7. Mibotsu

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    I ordered more eggs last night from Quaillady.. so I will have more to pair them up later. They will be moved to a planted aviary in a colony.

if you have a big enough avairy it shouldn't be a problem. i keep the rowdy female i have in a 10gal tank on my dining room table, she doesn't stink that much as long as you can get use to it lol.

8. The Critter Place

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.

if you have a big enough avairy it shouldn't be a problem. i keep the rowdy female i have in a 10gal tank on my dining room table, she doesn't stink that much as long as you can get use to it lol.

[​IMG]
    I've raised all sorts of birds over the years, and really don't mind the quail if you keep the pens clean.

We are planning on a few breeder cages for small groups of like 1:4, but most will go in the aviary.

We got the current birds as 3 day old chicks and I promised my hubby and son, we can spoil them rotten, as our breeders, but the offspring and eggs are fair game. LOL!

After I hatch what I'm getting from Quaillady, we'll decide a good ratio. I have a bird room in the house, so we do have plenty of room to pair or create colonies.

The aviary is 4' wide 8' long, 6' tall and then has a 4' square box added to that.

Planted, shade, mist system, and will have parakeets and finches to keep the quail company. [​IMG]

9. Mibotsu

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    sounds like you have your ducks in a row...i don't know about diseases between birds, but i'd check into that.

finches i know are no problem, other birds i got no clue

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by