Started my addition today

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bekachickenborn, Sep 3, 2016.

1. bekachickenborn

bekachickenborn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2016
    This summer our flock went from 4 to 2 to 4 to 7! Needless to say we need more room. We are essentially doubling the coop size to about 55-60 square feet. I hope to put in nesting boxes accessible from the outside and a dropping board under the roost, which will be longer. I have to decide if I should keep the window or put a piece of clear roofing in for light. Any opinions? Getting excited! Next year, I'm re-doing the run. Here are some before and progress pics. Hoping to have it almost finished tomorrow. So far I have $0 into this...I came across two oversized pallets and my dad tore down some of his deck and gave me that wood. Also scored free barn and fence paint from my boss to make it look nicer. Feeling very lucky![​IMG]

2. bekachickenborn

Jul 17, 2016
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. bekachickenborn

Jul 17, 2016
    Here is what we accomplished today...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. bekachickenborn

Jul 17, 2016
    I'll post some more pictures as we make progress for the ladies' new crib!

5. PingoBags

PingoBags Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2016
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    If you knocked down that center wall, salvaged that window, you could install it to the new addition.
    You would also need to relocate the shelf and nesting box. That center wall would only be taking up space now, removing it would really open the coop up for more chickens.

6. bekachickenborn

Jul 17, 2016

Thanks! That's actually part of the plan. The wall has come in handy...but more of a pain since it cuts down on open tromping grounds. We are definitely opting for an "open floor plan!" It comes down tomorrow!

7. PingoBags

PingoBags Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2016
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    The chickens will love the new space

8. bekachickenborn

Jul 17, 2016
    Today's progress!! Doubled the space. About $65 invested into a few pieces of roofing, some hardware, and prefabricated nesting boxes (we got lazy). Not too shabby!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. bullets

bullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2016
    Camdenton, Missouri
    This looks great! Did you also take off the old roof?

10. bekachickenborn

Jul 17, 2016
    Thank you! The old roof was actually two pieces of steel corrugated positioned incorrectly (sideways instead of up and down). When I put them the right way, the length was perfect but needed another piece. I actually got a few pieces of clear pvc corrugated to give them a little sunroof. My coop sits under wooded coverage, so it shouldn't get too hot. We also have decent ventilation in there. I plan to add a gutter and rain barrel too so that I don't have to keep lugging gallons of water up my hill! The coop was on the property when we bought our house. It's been fun using and remodeling it the past few years.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by