Started my coop/run today

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jakesbigpapa, Mar 3, 2012.

1. jakesbigpapa

jakesbigpapa Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2012
    Ithaca, NY
    Hi folks...thanks for all the great info you've all been giving me. Started my coop/run today. Thought I'd share the days progress, since the whole concept is inspired by BYC member designs.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. horseshowmomnv

horseshowmomnv Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    Reno NV
    Looks good, that is about the same spot we are at, the bottom frame! I feel better just getting that done. Looks like your little guys wants to help!

3. jakesbigpapa

Feb 27, 2012
    Ithaca, NY
    I used him as an excuse for this project....he's very excited, but I'm totally addicted, and I don't even have any chickens yet. March 26 we pick up our first chicks. I ordered 3 speckled sussex an d 3 golden comets. Chicken math is prevailing, and I think I'm adding 3 or 4more chicks to the order.

4. jakesbigpapa

Feb 27, 2012
    Ithaca, NY
    Day 2 is underway.....we're expecting snow, so this is all I'm going to get done today.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  5. jakesbigpapa

Feb 27, 2012
    Ithaca, NY
    Making progress on the coop.[​IMG][​IMG]

6. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    Looks great... can't wait to see it when done. What type of wood are you using for the ground contact? I think they're 4x4's?

7. jakesbigpapa

Feb 27, 2012
    Ithaca, NY
    Thanks...I used 4x4 pt for the foundation. For the rest of the framing I just used standard 2x4s.

8. davisfamily

davisfamily Out Of The Brooder

Feb 29, 2012
    Can you get any more close ups of the nest boxes? I like that design, but I won't need them for a few more months.
    Looks like a very nice setup!
    Dan

9. jakesbigpapa

Feb 27, 2012
    Ithaca, NY
    Sure...if I were doing it again, I'd use standard plywood, instead of the zipsystem, roofing board I used. I thought it would be good, because of the moisture barrier on the outside, but it's not very sturdy for this application. I'll get a couple of photos and some dimensions for you next time I get to work on it. It's all sealed beneath a tarp right now.

10. wilbilt

wilbilt Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2012
    Nor Cal
    Note to self: Next time, fill the base frame with the gravel and sand BEFORE building the rest of the coop. Because shoveling it in through a doorway too narrow for a wheelbarrow is going to suck. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by