Started my coop!! The sun is out...New pics-update

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Yeti, May 13, 2009.

1. Yeti

Yeti Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    I have some pics of my coop that I am starting to build, while at the same time I am working to finish a 10'x12' garden shed. I am designing/building it similar in style to "Le cage de Poulet", "Chick Mansion" and "La Cage Mahal". It will have a 4'x7' coop over a covered 7'x10' run. I do have a water drainage problem so I have a moat just inside the perimeter of the chicken run covered with drainage rock and I will eventually finish with 4-6" of coarse sand. Let me know what you think and any suggestions.

Thanks
    [​IMG]
    The beginning of the "moat".

[​IMG]
    Pier blocks for the 4x4 corner posts, the boards around it right now are just to make sure I get the 7'x10' frame right.

[​IMG]
    The framing and braces.

[​IMG]
    So this is how far I managed after a couple of days. There is approximately 1.5 yards of river rock in there right now on top of the hardwire cloth and 3" corrugated drain line.

Last edited: May 25, 2009
  2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    May seem dumb,, but why the river rock?

3. Yeti

Yeti Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    The chicken run is in an excavated area of my backyard (kids old play structure with cedar chips used to be in there) and when it rains the water would stay on top of the claylike soil for quite a while. So in short, for lots of drainage. There will be 4-6" of coarse sand on top of the rocks when I get done. Don't need the neighbor hood cats using it as a sand box while I'm trying to finish.

4. chickens3

chickens3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    Eau Claire, Michigan
    looks like that will work for them so far.

5. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    How many chicks do you have?

6. Yeti

Yeti Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    We have six 4 week olds. 3 BR, 2 BO and one lonely Brown Leghorn.

7. chills

chills Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2009
    looks good so far, sounds like you did lots of planning ..
    does the rain stop there?

8. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    Looks good. I hope the rock and moat help with the drainage.

I'm having the same trouble in Olympia, WA with the rain and poor draining clay soil. I dug a moat last weekend all around my horse stall turned chicken coop and with all the rain we had this week, the standing water went right over the top of the moat and out another 3-4'.

This weekend is supposed to be nice, so I'll be digging a little deeper and wider.

Good luck with yours and thanks for sharing.

9. Yeti

Yeti Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    Have had sunny weather so have been working hard to get finished - not there yet but getting closer!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Uppity Peon

Uppity Peon Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm impressed!

I always love to see the lengths other people will go to make their chickens safe and comfortable. Then I can turn to my wife and say "See? I didn't over-engineer! I need some more building materials!"

BTW I found a couple nice windows behind my shed I didn't know I had. Hmmm...

Thanks for the inspiration!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by