Started my fermented feed!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Henriettamom919, May 16, 2019.

1. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Songster

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    I got a fresh bag of S&P layer, which even dry has been great for my three older girls, and started a big jar of fermented feed yesterday!

Previously, I was taking any leftovers and sowing them into an empty raised garden bed to sprout and my girls went nuts when we turned the soil every few days. I do love that there is never any wasted food but they'd get cranky with each other scratching for the best clumps of sprouts.

I'm ridiculously excited about this, it's kind of sad how giddy I get over chicken projects. I gave them a little taste of just the soaked seed at breakfast and the powder had turned into this thick binding mash that kind of formed a patty. They LOVED it!!! I can't wait to see how they react to their fermented final product!

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Crowing

Aug 11, 2016
    Watching the incubators
    Once they've had FF, there's no going back! ;) Hope they enjoy it as much as my gang (chickens, ducks, geese, and pigs) does!

3. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Songster

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    It's starting to bubble!!! :woot

I am *such* a dork :gig:wee

4. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Crowing

Aug 11, 2016
    Watching the incubators
    There's no shame in being a fermenting nerd (like me)! It is an exciting process (it's alive!!)...and FF is full of probiotics and the nutrients are more bioavailable. :highfive:

5. chkva

chkva Songster

Mar 20, 2015
    Can someone explain how to do FF... There's so many articles and all have different opinions and methods. How long can FF sit before it's bad? I'd like to try it, but I always have this fear that I'll screw up and my chickens will get sick... Is it good for chicks and ducklings?

6. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    There's no one perfect way so you do have to experiment a little. Me, I just put feed in a big glass jar, add water to about 1" over it, stir it up, and start serving the next day. I make batches that last about a week and just keep re-adding to what's in the jar. My chickens like it very thick (like oatmeal that's sat a little while) so I've gotten pretty good at eyeballing feed to water ratio to accomplish that, but the actual ratio will depend on your climate, the feed you're using, etc.

If you're nervous about starting it or unsure if your chickens will like it, just make a little bit to start and see how they do with it. That way if they don't eat it for some reason, or you just feel like it's off, you won't be throwing away a lot of feed.

I don't have ducks so no idea if they'll eat it. My chicks didn't want it though... once they were a few weeks old they started to try it because the hens ate it, but before that, no interest.

Henriettamom919 likes this.
  7. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Songster

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    Yes to all of this. My babies didn't care for it either. I'll try again once everyone is eating together. My big girls LOVE it! I know scratch and peck is good for ducks and hens so I can't see why it wouldn't be beneficial for your ducks, too! It's literally as simple as seed in jar, water over seed (I have mason jars of water next to my fermenting jar so the chlorine is evaporated out when I add it) and cover with a tea towel. The fermenting is underway by the next day and fully fermented by day 3/4. You just keep replacing seed and water as you use it up.

Heck, if I can do it without messing up and over thinking it, anyone can! :lol:

chkva likes this.
  8. chkva

chkva Songster

Mar 20, 2015
    Thanks for your help! I'm going to start today. I have a chicken seed mixture and their flock raiser I'll mix together. I'll make a day portion of it and see how they like it. My chicks will only eat their food now when it's made into a mash! My chickens eat their feed most of the day, but when 6 pm rolls around, they want their scraps... Yesterday it was fresh cantaloupe and fresh lettuce. I had stopped at a farm stand and said I was buying lettuce and kale for my chickens... The lady started handed me bags and bags of produce :celebrate She told me to stop by any time around 6 pm and she'd give me all the produce she had left. I bought my bundles of kale and tomatoes, but left with over 10 lbs of leafy greens for my chickens! She told me a story about a bantam chicken she had that was a pet... A hawk swooped down and grabbed it and she was only about 20 feet away :eek: She hasn't had a pet chickens since.

tpatricco likes this.
  9. chkva

chkva Songster

Mar 20, 2015
    Where does everyone store their fermented feed? I'd put it in my shed, but we have wild critters that try to live in there like feral cats and mice... Of course the mice don't last long with the cats :lau But the cats keep my property clean of most animals and leave my chickens alone, so I leave them be.

Last edited: May 18, 2019 at 4:42 AM
    Henriettamom919 likes this.
  10. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Songster

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    I just keep mine in the garage loosely covered with a tea towel. My girls like to eat out by the picnic table each morning ever since DH spilled a plate of pasta salad out there, I think they wake up each morning hoping to find another pile of noodles and veg just waiting for them :yesss:

FoodFreedomNow and chkva like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: