Started my first batch last night.... Update post 6

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CoopCrazy, Aug 6, 2009.

1. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    LAst night I started my first batch of eggs in the bator... I won these eggs at the Indiana BYC meetup... Thanks again ED.. The awesome thing is I won 18 guinea eggs then traded 6 for 6 Black Copper Marans, then trade MJ 6 for 6 turkey eggs... Well I let the bator run for about three days getting the temps right , but I still can't get the humidity up past 47%.. I felt I had to get the eggs in or lose any chance of them hatching so I went ahead and put em in ...

Now as you see I am trying to hatch Black Copper MArans, Turkey and Guinea on my first go round... Presumptiuos? Yea I know [​IMG] ..
    I need some help getting the humidity up... I have a baby food jar full of warm water in the bator and a egg carton top with sponges and water... Any ideas should I try misting ? Plugging more holes ? Adding more sponges ...

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  2. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I would try plugging more holes. Sounds like you have everything you can fit in there! [​IMG] I just started my quail eggs 3 days ago [​IMG] Goodluck on the hatching and I don't even have a humidity thingy mabobber. [​IMG]

3. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Thanks AC... I think i will.... I hope I can get atleast some to hatch

4. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I would of just stuck them under one of Shultz's broodies [​IMG] just kidding!

When I did have a humidity gauge I could never get it past 45 degrees for some reason. Goodluck on your hatch I'll be keeping up with this thread [​IMG]

5. 2txmedics

2txmedics Songster

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    what worked for me...was reading several posts about, putting in sponges or wet towels in the bator...I took a hand towel, wet it with warm water, didnt wring it completely....just so that it didnt drip on the floor, but very moist...and stuck it in my LG...it worked!!!!

went from 55% to 78% good luck...Ive been hatching since last night!!!!!

6. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    So last night i tried to candle my eggs (I just realized I candled too early OOps ).. I have never done this before but it appearead that my eggs were no good.. Large mass at top of egg but clear below.. So I decided to take a few ( 1 guinea and 1 BC MAran) and crack them open to see if i had had any development.. First the guinea egg and we had nothing just a yolk... Then the MAran and guess what there was a embryo in there... So I guess I am doing something right.... So i guess i will just keep doing what im doing and see what happens ..

Whens a good time to candle turkey and guinea eggs??

7. 2txmedics

2txmedics Songster

Jul 5, 2009
    Manvel Texas
    Crazy Coop....I have an LG, my batch hatched at only 50%...alittle under that....I found an awesome post in in the forums here given to me by another BYCer...makes alot of sense on the humidity....you should read it.....I dont have any ink to print it so I took notes....but wow, Im gonna try again.....find it, or do you need help finding it...its by a Jaime321

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: