Started new eggs yesterday, is it ok that they are in the same space/next to the old eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Betsysbabyservices, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Betsysbabyservices

Betsysbabyservices Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    The old eggs I'm pretty sure are duds. I looked at a bunch of photos of egg candling and ours look like they are "heavily porous" and have large dark ovals in them. I don't know whether that means they have a bacteria problem or whether they are just duds or we handled them improperly. I went out last night and came home to find my husband and daughter had put the new eggs, which we just bought at the Grange and are "garaunteed fertile" in the same spot, basically touching the dud eggs. should I be worried about bacterial contamination?

2. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    Discard the other eggs, the dark circles you are seeing is probably a blood ring. This means that the eggs were fertile, but the embryo is dead. This WILL effect the other eggs.

3. Betsysbabyservices

Betsysbabyservices Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    oh, ****, so that means it was something we did on our end that killed them. Like it was 104 degrees for a few hours, or we touched them too much, or something? we will remove them. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by