Started on breeder pen/coop (more pics added)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by marie_martin, May 4, 2008.

1. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    I am trying to get some breeder pens up so I can get some of mine separated into sets so that I can better control the colors. I am getting all splash and no black. I also need room for other breeds. Here is the first one going up. Still have lots of work. I am trying to use what we have and not have to buy a lot. I am going to cover parts of it but not the entire thing. I will have a coop/nesting area in each side (will be two pens). What do you think so far. 8' x 8' and will be used for bantams of course. They will have the ground because I will not put a floor. I will put wire into the ground and up the sides to protect them from predators digging in but will close them up at night anyway. Tell me what you think. Not sure about the top, probably just wire for now and then cover with a tarp for winter rains.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking,

Marie

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  2. 2dream

2dream Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2008
    Jackson MS
    Great idea Marie.
    You have just given me some ideas which will save me lots of time and money.

Lookin good.

Edited to add - Be sure to post progress and finsihed pics

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  3. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    I can't draw but here is an idea of how I think it will be from the back? Not sure yet.

[​IMG]

Cover the top part of the three sides and leave the bottom open with hardware cloth covering so the light still gets in? Or cover the bottom half and leave the top half open, not sure. And the top of the pens will be wire for now to be more open. It gets so hot here and we don't have any winter.

As you can see the nest/coop area will be at the back with a door and a ladder going up. And inside there will be a nest and a roost in each one too. There will be a door on the back to open for easy egg collection and clean out. The boxes will be about 4' wide each and about 3' tall I think? To give them room to roost.

I am open to suggestions, but keep in mind, I am trying to use what I have here as much as I can. I lost my job.

Marie

4. 2dream

2dream Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2008
    Jackson MS
    Gosh sorry to hear about your job. That has to be a tough one.
    I know what you mean about using what you have though. Same goes here.
    Your idea looks great to me and I really like it.
    We are in the process of turning an old shed into
    some much needed chicken space. My girls and boys have definately outgrown what was suppose to be their temporary A Frame. But the old shed re-do is taking so long and I need a couple of quick fixes. Thank goodness for Central MS mild winters. Summer coolness is more important.

5. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Any suggestions before I go any futher with this. Should I cover the top or bottom with wood and the other part with wire? Or cover it all with wood except for some windows? This is basically their run and will have the coop/roost area inside there so I am guessing leaving it more open would be better so they can get sun and air? What would you do if this is what you had? How would you make it the best coop you could afford using basic materials and minimal carpentry skills? Thanks.

Marie

6. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    Here are more pics. Got all the chicken wire up. Will be re-inforcing the bottom with welded wire that will be buried around the bottom. The top is covered with wire too and will have a tarp over most of it, especially in the winter/spring rainy seasons. Working on the doors this week.

Marie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Will post more pics as I go.

Marie

7. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    No one has any comments? Ideas?

Marie

8. Riparian

Riparian Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Ontario Canada
    Its looking really good Marie, keep going... [​IMG]

9. marie_martin

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    We have the doors on and started working on the coop/nesting area for one side today. Here is our progress so far.

The front, the hole is where the door will go of course:

[​IMG]

The end will have a window in it one each end:

[​IMG]

I will have two of them, one in each side of the breeder pen. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Marie

Last edited: May 18, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by