Started on the 2nd Phase

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chicken_crazy93, Nov 23, 2010.

1. chicken_crazy93

chicken_crazy93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2010
    Mascot
    We got started on the 2nd phase of my chicken house yesterday. This one is on the other side of the back window of my garage. I wanted a small,dry place to keep my feed,rakes,shovels etc... & the rest for my chickens. Here are a few pictures of when we started. The total size is 6FT wide by 8FT deep by 8FT tall. You can see in one of the pictures where the chicken feed area is gonna be, it's up against the garage & it's 2FT wide by 6FT deep by 8FT tall & the rest is for the chickens. I have less than $500.00 in both houses & I bought almost everything from Lowe's. I still have to paint them & trim them out but I have the paint left over from when we painted my porch. I have one 2X4X8 & two sheets of OSB left over plus alot of scrap peices to build holdin pens, brooders etc... out of. I will post the finished pictures when it quits rainin but here's the start.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are a few of the other chicken house that we built a week or so ago. This new one is exactly the same except I have the feed room built in with it & the front of it is half open for ventalation & the west side wall is completely closed in to keep the wind out.

We're gonna cut a 2FT wide peice out of the front & put wire up on this one.
    [​IMG]

This is the west side, on the new house it is completely closed off due to the wind always blows from the west.
    [​IMG]

2. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Great start! You've been very busy. Keep us posted. [​IMG]

3. chicken_crazy93

Oct 24, 2010
    Mascot
    Thank you, yes I try to stay as active as I can & I love messin with chickens & hot rods so I do tend to stay busy.

4. chicken_crazy93

Oct 24, 2010
    Mascot
    I took some pictures this morning while I was outside feedin. Now keep in mind they have not been painted nor has the trim been put up. I'm gonna paint them the same color as my front porch which is a blueish gray & the trim will be white. Also, on the first house I'm gonna cut a 2ft wide place out in the front & put wire over it just like we did on the new house.

In this picture you can see the entrance to the feed room back against the garage wall.
    [​IMG]

Feed room entrance.
    [​IMG]

Inside lookin out at the feed room.
    [​IMG]

Inside feed room.
    [​IMG]

The one on the left is the one we're gonna cut the 2ft opening out of the front to match the other one.
    [​IMG]

This is the west side closed in to keep the wind out. The wind most always comes from the west.
    [​IMG]

5. Chickenkate17

Chickenkate17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    California
    :jumpyNice job! It will be sturdy! [​IMG]

6. chicken_crazy93

Oct 24, 2010
    Mascot
    Thank you! Yes, they are very sturdy. Once I get them painted & trimmed out they should look pretty decent, I hope. I'm usin the new one we just built for my bantys as it's alot smaller due to the feed room. My bantys are gonna stay inside for a couple of weeks to get used to their new home before I let them out with my big stock chickens. I keep the flight wings cut on my big stock but I don't want to trim them on my bantys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by