STARTED OUT CALM NOW GETTING NERVOUS!!! DAY 18 APPROACHING!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by daisychick, Feb 10, 2009.

1. daisychick

daisychick Incubator Tetris Master Consultant

Feb 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Today is day 17 for my eggs in the bator. I am starting to get nervous!! I want to make sure I do everything right! THIS IS MY FIRST TIME! [​IMG] Ok I am going to take the eggs out of the turner tomorrow evening. I am going to put them on the non-slip cupboard liner stuff. Then add more water to the trays to get the humidity up. I am also installing the tube and funnel idea to add water if needed.

OH AND I AM NOT OPENING THE LID NO MATTER WHAT TILL THEY HATCH!

Will the temps change when I take out the turner?? and if so what do you do??

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    You stop turning the eggs in the turner on the evenings of day 18 and take the turner out of the incubator, candle one last time, set your eggs back in the bator and bump your humidity levels.

Yes, the temps and humidity will go down but should come back to normal within a few hours or overnight.

Good luck with your hatching and be patience for them to pip and zip out, 24 hours or longer from a pip to hatching.

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    What Tuffoldhen said.

Don't worry! I'm sure all will be well. It's HARD not to open the bator when the first one pops out...you want to scoop it up & put it in the brooder, but don't do it!

I completed my very first hatch of my own (I've had a good friend do all my other hatches) in December. I made myself NOT open the bator and NOT help...it was hard, especially since I had one pip and then die. But I'm so glad now that I chose to not help.

My first pip didn't come until 4 hours into day 21, too. I thought they were goners! But, once they started to pip, they zipped & hatched in no time - like little popcorn kernel fuzz-butts!

GOOD LUCK!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by