Started out with 9 eggs now only 2 remain...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LittleLola, Apr 17, 2008.

1. LittleLola

LittleLola Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    [​IMG] well this is/was my first time incubating... so I am just praying [​IMG] [​IMG] that the 2 left are healthy and that everything goes well with them. I am on day 13. I am keeping my temp at 100 degrees and humidity at 50% (with slight fluctuation here and there by a degree and humidity sometimes goes from has ranged from 46 to 54... (that happens at night once in awhile I noticed) But I figured out last night that the humidity in the room was probably low so I boiled some water in my tea kettle and poured it into some bowls that the bator is in and it seemed to work [​IMG] So please send good vibes for my only 2 lil eggies left... [​IMG] [​IMG]

BTW the 2 have great movement... [​IMG]

So I would like to know if there is anything else I should be doing?
    Thanks in advance

2. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    Good Luck...I didn't start with eggs, I bought baby chicks. Do you have to buy an incubator or can you make one?

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    What brand and model incubator are you using?

Still air temps should be 101 - 102 at the tops of the eggs.

Forced air (with a fan) temps are good at 99.5 - 100.

There is some really good information in the learning center for new and experienced hatchers. I tend to keep my humidity a little lower under day 18.

Dry Incubation

Good luck with your two eggs!

4. LittleLola

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    Soccermomof7.... lol I have an incubator, but you can make on [​IMG]

MissPrissy... I am using a hova-bator still air (so old style) the ones made out of foam... by G.Q.F I have read many posts and surfed the web and I thought that I would try what seems to be the average out of everything I have read. So what humidity would you recommend before day 18 then? I will re-read the Dry Incubation again..lol I do value your opinion very much [​IMG] so I will raise the temp to 101 and humidity???

Thanks again,
    Sherry

5. tat2edlady

tat2edlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    yes Miss Prissy has some of the best info I redid both my bators to meet her directions lol but she know more thani

Mindy

6. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Still air incubating you need to get the temps at the top of eggs in the 101 - 102 range. I keep my humidity around 45%.

That tiny 1.5 degrees makes a HUGE difference in the incubation of the eggs.

On day 18 when I stop turning I raise it to 70%.

7. LittleLola

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    [​IMG] will do MissPrissy I already have put it to 101 now to get the humidity down

Thank you sooo much!!

8. LittleLola

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    okay day 16 for my lil eggies and Miss Prissy, I have followed your advice and been keeping the temp at 101 and humidity at 45-46ish... TYVM [​IMG] so on the 18th day I up the humidity to 70% and let them be. Now I wanted to know... do I stop turning them at night on the 18th day or morning?

Thanks in advance to any help [​IMG]

9. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I stop turning sometime in the evening. Actually whenever I can get a quiet minute without my 2 yr olds hands grabbing at everything. LOL

10. LittleLola

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    [​IMG] okay thanks Miss Prissy! if you wouldn't mind taking a looksie at chicken behaviors and reading my post and let me know your input I would greatly appreciate it!

thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by