Started processeing my 27 cornish X's

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by angelbrenn, Mar 16, 2013.

1. angelbrenn

angelbrenn Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2013
    Ocala fl
    Today was the day. I have been working my courage up for 9 weeks. I was left to do it all by myself. Took me all day to get 12 done and I still have 15 more to go. I think tomorrow will go faster but I will sure be glad to have it done. I should so have done a video of how not to do this[​IMG] For those getting ready to do there first processing, just want to say if I can do it, you can do it.

1 person likes this.
  2. Elke Beck

Elke Beck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Sunny So Cal
    My hat is off to you. My first time was three DP cockerels, and I was exhausted after.

3. paridisefarm2009

paridisefarm2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2009
    Hudson Florida
    I would have certainly Helped you I am only 1 Hr Or or so away From ocala I am going to Do Mine in a few More weeks I have plenty Of Photos and videos Of my last years process On my site . Congrats to you On your first time Jean

4. AgroUrica

AgroUrica Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2013
    What's the average weight on those birds? I've not finished butchering/selling my group of 300, but then they're only 42 days (6 weeks) today. Some of my birds are over 3 kilos (6.6 pounds +).

I'm definitely going to automate the plucking process as that's the biggest consumer of time in the entire process.

5. angelbrenn

Feb 14, 2013
    Ocala fl
    Update today did go much better than yesterday. Processed all the roosters yesterday average weight post processing just the carcass no innards or neck or anything the largest was 7 1/2 pounds the smallest was six and half pound. Process all the females today Average Weight was 6 1/2 pounds largest was seven the smallest was five this is just the bodies. I was too tired to do the last one.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  6. angelbrenn

Feb 14, 2013
    Ocala fl
    Forgot to add the Cornish crosses hatched on January 14 so they were almost 9 weeks old

7. daviechik

daviechik Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Nice!! Congrats

8. jecombs

jecombs Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2011
    Good job. I'm sure it was difficult. We are going to process ours the first weekend in May. My husband processed two roosters that we got in a batch of straight-run chicks last year, but I have never processed before. Any tips on things you did wrong that I should watch-out for? I know it will be tough, but I will feel much better eating meat that I know was humanely raised in our own backyard.

9. Christy610

Christy610 New Egg

Jan 29, 2013
    My six are due for processing around a week from Thursday. We've processed three before, but they were all dual purpose hens. These will be our first meat birds, and first males as well. At four weeks these birds probably weigh as much as our twenty week birds did, so it should be an interesting comparison.

10. angelbrenn

Feb 14, 2013
    Ocala fl
    Two things I did wrong a few times, careful not to over skald and when cutting the abdomen open don't go to high or the breasts skin will not cover the breast meat. Also taking away the feed the nite befor made it easyer to keep the meat clean.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by