Started Pullet Prices.

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by mchandler, Mar 23, 2011.

1. mchandler

mchandler New Egg

Mar 15, 2011
    So I'm new to this whole chicken thing and have been doing a lot of research. I'm getting close to the point where I am ready to buy and have been researching prices. I am interested in White Leghorns and Red Stars for their excellent egg production abilities and that way I can get some brown and white eggs. I wanted to purchase ones that are almost ready to lay, and have been looking at Murry and McMurry. The prices are good but shipping is crazy! about $108 for 8 birds but shipping was $165! Wowzers! Anyone have any hits or good places to get some reasonable prices, or is this what I am in for. Since I was looking for these types of birds I feel like I am narrowing my options?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. Mystic Farms

Mystic Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Check the chickenstock page on here for swaps in your area, you will usually find your best options/prices there you can also try your local craigslist!! $12-15 for 4-6 mos is the norm in my area, ne fl but each area is different. I know I've read on here of folks having a hard time getting $5 each in some places.

3. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Check the local paper CL and feed store boards, I got pullets for $6 a piece. Good luck you might have to look for while since you have breeds picked out I just got what the farmer had.

4. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    I got some redstar local for 6$. A friend and I got 35, but they didnt charge that much more for small orders.

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Agreed. Don't like started pullets with beaks cut, which most hatcheries do!

I sell started pullets, and I am not alone. Many folks do. Check Craigslist, and check here, under sales. Send me a PM if you're close to Northern Michigan. [​IMG]

6. mchandler

mchandler New Egg

Mar 15, 2011
    So i forgot to mention that I have been looking on craigslist and haven't found anything. ( I'm about 45 mins north of Blatimore, MD). The only thing I did find is Moyers Hatchery ( a 2 hour drive), but their started pullets have their beaks trimmed!! Why is this done? Prevent pecking each other? I'm guessing McMurry does the same thing. Maybe I should just try to find a more mainstream RIR. I did search the lancaster PA craigslist and found some started leghorns from a farmer. Maybe I'm too picky to get what I want.

7. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    We have a state agricultural paper that is loaded with started pullets and any other farm related stuff that comes out every 2 weeks. Maybe your state has one like that or neighboring states, even.

8. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Quote:You are right that Moyer clips beaks like most (if not all) hatcheries that sell point of lay pullets. I did have their red sexlinks a few years ago and they were very good birds. I had eggs a week after I picked them up. Except for the beaks, they are a great place to buy started birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by