Started Pullets

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jmc0319, Feb 25, 2013.

1. jmc0319

jmc0319 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2013
    I am now at the point of ordering my started pullers. While I know this sounds like a dumb question, I have to ask. My inclination is to order two of each breed. Is that necessary? Does that matter? I am one of those people that like even numbers. :)

2. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    I can't honestly say that I have ever noticed that chickens are racist, or breedist, or whatever you'd call it. I really don't think they care much how many of what kind of chicken they hang with. That said, I don't really like introducing single birds into a group; I prefer that a newby has at least one friend. I feel it reduces the stress on the bird to have at least one other bird that it knows it can hang out with, and tends to spread any unpleasantness around enough that nobody gets bullied mercilessly. If you were getting chicks, I'd say get whatever you like; they'll all grow up together, but if you are talking POL pullets, I'd prefer pairs, too.

3. jmc0319

Feb 15, 2013
    Sorry...POL.?

4. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Point of Lay - birds that are old enough to start laying eggs.

1 person likes this.
  5. cobbcruiser

cobbcruiser Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2013
    Atlanta Metro
    We've been talking about getting hens for several months. We were probably going to get them in a week or two, but came across a couple of options today and took the plunge earlier than anticipated. The original plan was to get pairs of each (3 pair total: Rhode Island Red, Barred Plymouth Rock, and Araucana).

Well, the young lady that we got them from had over a 100 chicks and about 6 different varieties. She didn't have the Araucana yet (hatching some probably this coming weekend), so we ended up with 5 different varieties - not a single pair! (lol). This is what we have: RIR, BPR, Dominique, Buff Orp, Buff Sex-Link. We plan to add 1 Araucana whenever they are ready to go to their new homes. We'll still have 6 but no duplicates. We decided at the last minute to try out a variety and see which we like better (I know the BPR and Dominique are very similar, but I've read differences on BYC and other places and wanted to find out for myself).

So we are now chicken owners! My 2 daughters were SO excited. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  6. jmc0319

Feb 15, 2013
    Excellent. Enjoy them. I can't wait to get mine.

7. cobbcruiser

cobbcruiser Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2013
    Atlanta Metro
    jmc0319 - Why wait?! [​IMG] We were going to wait, but the opportunity presented itself and we got them earlier than planned - haven't regretted it at all. Although it's only been a couple of days, we can already see growth and progress.

I'm sure you have your reasons though. Best of luck when you do get them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by