Started Treats 2day but NO GRIT..BAD or OK

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickie<3, Jul 6, 2010.

1. chickie<3

chickie<3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    So I have two 5 week old chicks...It was over 100 degrees today so i gave my girls some watermelon and cut up frozen strawberries..they loved it...but i keep reading about grit needed for digestion. Do i just put a lil in a dish in the coop and they just know to eat it. And is grit just sand or do I have to buy it online because there are no chicken supply places around here. Oh and should I stop the treats until I get the grit?

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    If you can't get grit, a little sand should work.
    At 5 weeks old, I think some watermelon and strawberries should be OK-just put a little bowl with some sand in it out for them so they don't have any crop problems.
    Oh, just one question-why are there no pics of these babies having watermelon? We LOVE pics!
    Sorry, almost forgot-[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  3. chickie<3

Jul 6, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Just came across this forum...and just registered...trying to figure out how to do stuff..btw..what does subscribe to this topic mean

4. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    If you subscribe to a topic, every time someone posts to that topic, you will be alerted by email.

5. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    Chicks/chickens can get grit from eating dirt and smalls rocks too, feed also contains some grit in it so it should be fine.
    Subscribing to a topic means you will get an email everytime someone posts a reply to this thread.

6. chickie<3

Jul 6, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Great Thanks..trying to put on pic..have such cute ones...but noy having much luck..any instructions for newbie

7. easttxchick

Aug 3, 2009
    Go up to the blue bar(above where it says BYC mentioned in Time Magazine" and click on uploads-you should be able to follow the instructions from there.
    Can't wait to see pics of your babies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by