started with 40-something, and now ended up with...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gumbii, Feb 1, 2011.

1. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    23... i think...

i have a home made incubator that is designed to hold 60 eggs... but i engineered the turner wrong, and i had to do manual turning until i fix it... so i gave some eggs to my friend...

anyways... i ended up cracking some... so i'm not sure how many i really started out with... i think i started with 48... broke 6 changing fans... fail... threw out 6 that weren't fertilized, some pairs are very young... i left 6 maybe eggs in the bator because i didn't know what a blood ring really looked... so i left them until i went to candle them again... after finding this other website that had pics of blood ring eggs...

anyways...

what causes bloodrings...? could it have been a temp fluctuation...? before i got back, the fans stopped working around day 3 there was a drop in temps...

now i'm a bit sad, and discouraged... i started out with 60 eggs, and now only have 23 that are actually growing... i've been collecting more eggs now to incubate them again, but i feel like i'm just messing up their chances of survival... i also realized that there's also chances that they will pip, but never actually hatch...

[​IMG]

how do you guys deal with days like this...

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:I deal with days like this by looking at the birds in my backyard that have come from successful hatches. And a few that made it from not so successful hatches. [​IMG]

3. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    Quote:I deal with days like this by looking at the birds in my backyard that have come from successful hatches. And a few that made it from not so successful hatches. [​IMG]

thx for the hug... but i haven't had any successful hatches to go look at... this is my first attempt at hatching... i think i'm just gonna trash this incubator and spend a couple of bills building a cabinet style one with a hatcher...

i always get sad when a hobby goes bad, but then decide to build bigger or try harder... need to find a stronger motor i guess...

thanks for the words of inspiration... pretty soon i will be able to see my hatchlings playing keep away with a mealworm...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by