1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

starter breeds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by floytavius, Aug 7, 2013.

1. floytavius

floytavius Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2013
    I'm 14 so I can't really get many chickens but I was wanting to enter my chickens into shows. I was wondering what chicken breeds are good setters and mother,also I already have OEGames I also would prefer clean legged chickens

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have heard that silkies are great mothers and tend to get broody very often though they have feathered legs, perhaps a orpington would be best if you don't want feathered legs on a chicken because they get broody as well. You should stay away from chickens that are bred for laying eggs because factory farms for example want chickens who are efficient and don't get broody often.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    If you have exhibition lines, most breeds go broody to some extent. My moderns and RIR have been QUITE broody this summer. I used to have bantam araucanas, and they were awesome mama's. American game are very good mama hens.

4. floytavius

floytavius Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2013
    I think silkies would be something nice to look at and I always liked RIR's so I'll see which ones I'll beable to come across

5. BlackPanther

BlackPanther Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Southeastern US
    Buff Orpingtons are a fairly broody clean-legged chicken. They should be pretty easy to get.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by