1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Starter Distillate contamination.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by KodaJ9397, Mar 25, 2016.

1. KodaJ9397

KodaJ9397 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2015
    I have many 7 gallon jugs filled with water that previously stored Starter Distillate (butter flavoring used in dairy products) that I keep for a SHTF scenario. Since they're so portable I've been considering keeping two of them out at my coop, which is quite the distance from the nearest water source. It would make filling up my chicken waterer much easier.

My main concern with this, is whether a tiny amount of contamination from these would be enough to hurt my chickens? The jugs have all been rinsed multiple times and stored out of the sun. But I know the flavoring had leached into the plastic. I did taste some of it and it does have a slight buttery flavor.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    You can get a chemical container cleaner and neutralizer to flush out those jugs. Any dangerous residue would then cease to be a concern.
    [​IMG]

3. KodaJ9397

KodaJ9397 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2015
    Awesome I will definitely have to look into that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by