1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Starter feed for ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kaitling, Apr 14, 2016.

1. kaitling

kaitling Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2016
    Oklahoma
    I have only been able to find Purina flock raiser for my ducklings. It is for chicks and ducklings. Does anyone know if I need to still add Niacin to their diet with this particular food?

Thank you

2. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    This is what Storey's Guide recommends because it should contain the niacin needed if I recall correctly, but I'm not 100% on that.

Generally, I recommend having some on hand regardless, as individual ducks may have a need for supplementation. I'd rather spend the $8-10 to have it on hand, than have a duck exhibiting signs of deficiency and have to wait for a store to open or have a purchase delivered before I'm able to start treating.

3. kaitling

Mar 21, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Should I wait for a sign or just give it to them anyway? I didn't know if I would be over doing it with the Niacin?

4. fourkidsandduck

fourkidsandduck Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
  5. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Colorado Springs, CO
    The flock raiser should be okay by itself. Niacin deficiency is pretty easy to spot and is easily corrected if caught early. The first sign is, generally speaking, the duckling lays down a lot. In some cases the legs will start to bow. If you see any signs add additional niacin. The good thing is that you know there is niacin in the feed so you won't need to worry about the more extreme symptoms, like neurological problems.

You may find that some of the duckling do just fine but one is showing signs. This is normal. Some ducks are just more sensitive to deficiencies than others.

6. kaitling

Mar 21, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Thank you all for the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by