starter feed??????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by OkieChix, Jul 29, 2010.

1. OkieChix

OkieChix Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2010
    broken arrow, oklahoma
    ok when do you quit feeding statrer feed to the new layers/ and r the eggs still eatible wile on starter food?

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:I use medicated starter for the first 8 weeks, then I use either unmedicated starter or a grower ration until they are just about 20 weeks (right before they lay). Then I switch over to layer ration. I wouldn't eat eggs if the chickens are eating medicated starter, but they shouldn't still be on that ration by that point anyway.
    You may find the instructions on the back of your feed back helpful in deciding when to switch over, many of them include directions.
    Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  3. atimme

atimme Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Chicago
    What kind of chickens do you have and how old are they? You should switch to a grower or a layer depending on the type of bird, around the time they have had all of their feathers for two weeks. This is usually around 6 weeks. Your feed should be about 14% protein at that point to grow some healthy chickens. Layers should go right before beginning to lay to a layer mash or crumbles. That is around the 17th week.

4. atimme

atimme Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    Chicago
    Also don't eat 'em if they've been medicated, there's a wait period that will tell you how long the meds stay in their system printed on the bag or label tag somewhere...

5. OrloffTom

OrloffTom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2010
    NC
    I have 8 chickens total. I went through 2 bags of the starter and have been buying the grower/finisher since about 10weeks I think. I had asked them at the Tractor Supply about when to start the laying feed and they said I could gradually start working it in when this last bag I bought of grower/finisher is about gone. My chickens are 19weeks old now and my current food is about gone so I'll probably buy a bag of layer this weekend.

6. OkieChix

Apr 30, 2010
    broken arrow, oklahoma
    i got the one that are starting to lay april 2. so about 17ish weeks i think. i read the lable on the feed sack and it said to keep them on it for 20 weeks. witch i thought was kinda werid. went and got laer food yesterday and mixed it for the big girls. i have a lot of chickens 17weeks to roughly 2months. and i only paid for 5 of them. got the rest free from a elementry school teacher. so im learning a whole lot from here and reading as much as i can. i check the lable again to see how long it last in the system for the chickens. any othe idels of what i should do?

7. OkieChix

Apr 30, 2010
    broken arrow, oklahoma
    oh the ones that are laying i think are black sexlink, 2NHR, 2bramahs,and maybe a double laced something or another. lol dont really know i guess i should post a pick of her in the whats my breed.

8. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    According to Dr Rob McCoy who gave a webseminar for MannaPro Some meds ieAmproline and Bacitracin can be given and still be able to eat eggs. This is what is in MannaPro Starter feed. That being said, as a medical professional, I would not eat eggs of one on any other antibiotics.2 reasons....1 most antibiotics are very bitter & would affect the taste of the egg. &2 any antibiotics affect OUR immune system . Bacteria/viruses in our bodies build up a resistance to them over time .The more u use antbiotics the less effective they become. If u use them indiscrimanently, they may not be effective when u need them.

9. OkieChix

Apr 30, 2010
    broken arrow, oklahoma
    ok well deffently throwing the eggs out [​IMG] but i cant find on the lable how long it stays in the system. that stinks they were my first eggs too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by