Starter Feed

liparotto

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 7, 2011
I've got three 10 week old chicks that free range during the day and also eat a 22% protein organic starter feed. I'm new to this and wondering whether I can just keep giving them this feed since I've still got a lot of it left. Some sources suggest going to a lower protein developer feed at 8 weeks, but I'd hate to waste this food. Thoughts? Thanks.

Quote:
Good advice. Growing birds can make use of the protein. Use what you have till it's gone. I usually go 20-24% till grown. Giving more scratch will lower the overall protein. Rather than buy scratch I just buy a bag of wheat or oats occasionally and add sunflower and millet depending on the season.

I'm glad I saw this thread because I have been wondering this. I have a multi age flock, some 1 year olds and some 5 to 7 months. I was feeding just laying pellets, then I read that my birds that aren't laying yet don't need that much protein thats in the laying pellets, so I started feeding them all scratch grain with oyster shells in a seperate dish. Is this a good diet? I also give them treats like bread, cabbage, pears, carrots.

Quote:
Put them back on the pellets. Scratch is like candy and should only be fed as a treat in small portions. 5 months and up can be on layer pellets just fine. You just don't want the babies (under about 17 weeks) on layer feed as it has too much calcium for their bodies.

Flockraiser is a great all purpose feed for layers and babies that are together. It has a higher protein % than layer feed.

Quote:
Put them back on the pellets. Scratch is like candy and should only be fed as a treat in small portions. 5 months and up can be on layer pellets just fine. You just don't want the babies (under about 17 weeks) on layer feed as it has too much calcium for their bodies.

Flockraiser is a great all purpose feed for layers and babies that are together. It has a higher protein % than layer feed.

Thanks so much for clearing that up for me.
smile.png

Quote:

Thanks so much for clearing that up for me.
smile.png

You're welcome.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom